A group of researchers dedicated to work on the impact that the media produce at the audience

Blog of dissemination of the work of the Research in Media Institute about the project Youth Media Participation

Apr 15, 2010

Carla and Florencia 16 and 18 years old

BRIEF RESUME

Carla and Florencia are relatives. It is very interesting to find out that, although closely related once one of them, Florencia in this case, changes school for college and starts work, the differences as to how they deal with the means of communication are really important.

Both have almost all the technology available to kids. Carla seems to know quite clearly that internet makes her lose a lot of time but it is impossible for her to set a limit to it.

Facebook, MSN, cell phones are an important part of their lives: “indispensable”

“a complement”. “Part of their own bodies” as Mac Luhan said.

Carla likes the same game that little kids play: the Farm. Television is also for her something that is all the time switched on. Florencia, who is working and studying at University feels, instead, that technology is important but with a limit and for a clear purpose.

It is also interesting to see the way these girls express themselves about their complete lack of confidence in the institutions in general and in the political institutions in particular. This aspect matches the results of the research on “Young people and their every day life”, where we investigate confidence on institutions and people in general.[1]

The possibilities of using these means as a way to change things and to participate almost do not exist. They do not believe that what they can do or say will be heard .

They say: “…the ones that are now in power ask us how we envision the future, but we don’t see the future and it is getting worse all the time”. And then add: “Well, I think they link to hope, the hope of changing something, but deep inside you really know nothing is going to change. I´d tell them that we are not going to be able to change the world, even if joining groups to do so”.

These adolescents come from a middle class family and the situation in Argentina is really worse especially for this social level.

We have also noticed an important difference between the answers from vulnerable kids and the ones that belong to wealthier families. The first ones have nothing to lose and new technology is their opportunity to improve their already hard life. It also happens with music: the Hip Hop and the Rappers are the voice of the most vulnerable.



[1] Merlo Flores, Tatiana; Los jóvenes y su vida cotidiana, Edtorial EDUCA, 1998/2000/2005/2008/2010, Buenos Aires



TRANSCRIPTION (ENGLISH VERSION)

Woman moderator We are with Carla, who is 16, and with Florencia, who is 18. Well, the first question is: What kind of technology you have at home? For example, you have TV…
Florencia TV, PC, Mobile, MP3
Carla Printer
Woman moderator Could you say what device you use the most?
Florencia The PC
Woman moderator Carla?
Carla …. And the Mobile
Woman moderator Good. Do you watch TV? How many hours you watch TV?
Carla 3 hours maximum during the programs I like, but not all day.
Woman moderator But the TV is on at home almost all the time or not?
Carla Yes, all day.
Woman moderator But you don’t give it attention all day.
Carla No.
Woman moderator What do you prefer then?
Carla The PC.
Florencia PC and the Mobile.
Woman moderator The PC and Mobile. Ok, and what do you use the PC and mobile for? Carla?
Carla The PC to do homework, to be online, to be on Facebook. The mobile to talk with friends, parents and to listen to music, too.
Woman moderator You listen to music in the mobile. How do you do it? You put music there? It comes with music?
Carla No. I download music with the USB cable and then I pass them to the mobile.
Woman moderator How did you learn to do that?
Carla My older brother taught me.
Woman moderator Ok. And you Florencia? What do you use the most?
Florencia The PC or the Mobile. The PC for work and to be online and the mobile for messages or to talk. Is basic.
Woman moderator Basic use. And what about games. Do you play online games?
Florencia Yes, “My Farm” in Facebook
Woman moderator Ohm, yeah that game in Facebook we were watching the other day. How did you learn about it?
Florencia I received an invitation in the email, then I started playing and I got hooked. Now every time I go on Facebook I am attracted to it. But only that game.
Woman moderator But, what are the main reasons you play that game? Because is fun, it amuses you?
Florencia Yes…
Woman moderator For what else you use the PC?
Florencia For homework in the University.
Woman moderator What other devices do you use? You mentioned digital camera, mp3, and mp4…
Florencia MP3&MP4, to listen to music if I go to a long trip and the camera, sometimes, not often, it is not a device that I use a lot.
Woman moderator And when you use the PC, which is the device you both use the most, how would you describe the use you make of it? Carla?
Carla Bad, very bad. (Laughs, a little ashamed)
Woman moderator (Laughs) Why very bad?
Carla Because I don’t study or I don’t do home shores because I am online or in Facebook. The only time I use the PC for something good is when I do homework there. Sometimes I say “I want to study”, but I stay in the computer…
Woman moderator But how long do you use it? You spend a long time in the PC? How long?
Carla Yes, relatively a lot of time. Well, it depends. If I come late from school, I don’t spend too much time in the PC, but I arrive home early then I go to the PC for a while, then to sleep (to take a nap) then I wake up and go to the PC.
Woman moderator And what do you do? How do you describe everything you do in the PC?
Carla Well, when I arrive home I turn the PC on, if my brother or mom has not yet turned it on. Then I go to Facebook and MSN, then I talk to somebody or not. Then I eat and if I don’t have some homework to do I do it, then I go to sleep (nap) and when I wake up I check if somebody has contacted me and if not, I get online.
Woman moderator And you Florencia?
Florencia I connect to Facebook to chat in the office, but in the afternoon, not in the morning. I don’t spend there too much hours, I am aware that it “hooks you”.
Woman moderator How does people get “hooked”? What do you think?
Florencia Because you procrastinate on what you really have to do. It is a distraction.
Woman moderator But do you think you loose time and it is the trend, but you don’t stop using it. Ok.
Florencia Well you have to put a limit to the distraction. The problem is that if I stay in internet until midnight and then I have accumulated 200 hours of work, then that is the problem, of course. But, well I do it just to distract for a while, to look for something, to talk to someone I don’t see everyday…just to distract a little bit.
Woman moderator But if you can be reunited with people that you have not seen since junior high school for example. Do you think is useful for keeping you in touch?
Florencia Yes, for being in communication…
Carla (Mobile rings, talks on mobile)
Woman moderator And for information…How did you learn to look for information?
Florencia In Internet…just going there. Going to Google or Encarta.
Woman moderator Ok, Carla is looking for something in Wikipedia…What do you do when you don’t find some information in Wikipedia?
Florencia Well, then you have to look in some other source or some ‘old’ source, such as a dictionary.
Woman moderator But, now is easier to find something in Internet.
Florencia Yes, now is much more practical to find some info in Internet. But you need to know how to find info.
Woman moderator How do you define ‘to look’ for info? Has it happened to you that you don’t find some information because you don’t know how to look for it?
Florencia Well, yes sometimes you don’t find the info, but also sometimes you find erroneous information, or somebody that puts and opinion then you have a different version. You have to know how to look for information. For instance, professors from the university say they write there…
Woman moderator Do you trust in what they write? Do you know how it works?
Florencia I don’t really know how it works…Well they register there and send their email info.
Woman moderator Well going back to the connection with people that you don’t see anymore. Do you think is a way to come closer to them?
Florencia Yes, because now we are in our own lives, in different workplaces or study and with the Internet we just need a short time at night to keep the contact, for example in the nights.
Woman moderator You keep contact trough Facebook or MSN?
Florencia Through MSN.
Woman moderator But you have other way of keeping contact or mainly through Internet?
Florencia No, also by phone, we talk once per week by phone. But if not, we talk in the PC.
Woman moderator Ok. What do you think motivates people to participate in Facebook?
Florencia Well you have to be very careful. I don’t like it in the sense that sometimes you don’t know who you have there. You can have the neighbor or the person that you met sometime but never talked again or you can find somebody that you really want to talk to and you can re-encounter people.
Woman moderator What happens when you re-encounter somebody, you talk through another media?
Florencia Yes, then you chat in MSN. For example, Diego’s friends organized a get-together the other day. They contacted by Facebook, they joined a school group and they talked to each other and get together during the weekend.
Woman moderator Then how would you describe Facebook or MSN?
Florencia MSN is a practical medium, like the phone and Facebook is a way to re-encounter people, to see pictures, to remember teachers, things, classes…
Woman moderator And you Carla? What do you think is the use of Facebook? Can you define?
Carla Well, is to re-encounter people, to see people you had to leave even if you didn’t wanted to leave them and also, well, to play.
Woman moderator You play in the PC and in Facebook? How do you play? Do you have competitions of one against each other? You play against the PC?
Carla We play in the PC; I play to the common games like the ‘My Farm’ where you make points and your friends too, so there is a ranking.
Woman moderator And at the same time you talk about that.
Carla Yes for example ‘x’ person has 900 points and I have 700, so he #1 and I am #2. That appears there.
Woman moderator And the email, do you use the email a lot?
Carla No.
Florencia No. Well to send documents, or send documents to myself, or to talk to my brother that does not have Facebook, he uses his jobs email.
Woman moderator
And the mobile, how do you use it? I see that Carla has her super-phone always at hand. What use you give it?
Carla It looks like a block (laughs) Well, I use it wrong because it never had credit…(laughs)
Florencia There is something in Facebook, for example they join the groups and they support some cause. And they created one for lowering phone rates…
Woman moderator How is that thing of the groups? Why it happens?
Florencia Well, you can create one or you can join one. There you can comment everything…
Woman moderator And why that happens? What do you think makes a person to join a group like that for example?
Florencia Some people join a lot of irrelevant groups and spend their credit.
Carla There was one group in which it was like sending a message to your mom.
Woman moderator And you Carla? What do you use? I see that now you are going into the news section of “My Farm”.
Carla Well I use to send messages, unless is something urgent. Besides, to be in contact with my mom.
Woman moderator And the groups? What other groups can you describe?
Florencia Well, for example when we went to a school trip and we took pictures of the trip and in the group everybody shared the pictures and they gave their opinion about the trip.
Woman moderator Why do you think they join the groups? That was a particular case of a reduced group that participated in the trip.
Florencia To unite, to share the pictures.
Woman moderator Why do you think people join and become fan of such thing?
Florencia Well, the older people don’t join, they don’t do ‘silly’ things.
Carla I don’t know why people join. I don’t comment, I just join the groups…
Woman moderator You know that some groups have a lot of members. Why do you joined?
Carla Because I felt identified with the cause.
Woman moderator Because you agreed with the cause.
Florencia There are also pro-Argentina groups. We are not against anybody, but we are for a common future, for us.
Woman moderator There was another about…
Florencia with the gay marriage, they all joined a group. People were commenting and they seem not to be against gay marriage. It seems like something normal.Now
Woman moderator
Ok. Do you think the people join because they think they are going to achieve something by joining?
Florencia You don’t achieve anything…I don’t think they work.
Woman moderator You think they don’t work. And you Carla?
Carla There was a group against insecurity, they wanted to make a march in the main square, there was one guy that I know who organizing everything and the people joined with the hope or achieving something.
Woman moderator Do you think that the group should be accompanied by other activities such a march or you think that the Facebook group is enough?
Florencia For me there has to be something else…
Carla It depends, because if you have one group that…(loud dog barking)…for instance the group “I don’t like teachers” can organize a march, it can be useful…(not clear)
Woman moderator Do you think that if we have a group against insecurity and there are 200,000 people that joined, do you think that if Facebook invites them they would go?
Florencia I could, but it has to be transmitted by other media.
Woman moderator Carla?
Carla The same. Sometimes I see groups where they say they want to organize a march (in Latin America ‘to march’ means ‘to demonstrate’ or protest against something in the streets), but I didn’t believe. There was a group where the organizers are too young, like 16, they can’t organize a march. Nobody is going to pay attention to it.
Woman moderator Why not?
Carla Because in Facebook they were feeling like adults, but in reality they don’t have the capacity or support to organize a march.
Woman moderator Why, because he is 16, because it comes from a young man or because it comes from Facebook?
Carla Well, because is not the same that Susana Gimenez (celebrity) says that they are going to organize a march than a 16 year old that nobody knows.
Woman moderator So it is important that the organizer is known or that he/she has convocation status (power), but if it comes from any other person, then it does not work.
Carla Of course…(Mobile rings, answers mobile, talks)
Woman moderator Ok. And you Florence? Do you think the same? The march has to be announced by an ‘adult’ or can it be announced by an unknown guy? And if there is an invitation to a march, is it more easily for you to see it in Facebook?
Florencia For me the march has to be announced also in other media, not only in Facebook. It has to be informed to everybody in general and the best way for adults to know about a march is the mass media, not Facebook. Because if you tell your parents you are going to a march organized by a guy at school, they would say, “Oh, that is not going to work”…and the enthusiasm diminishes.
Woman moderator They feel it wouldn’t be enough. So it has to be mentioned in other media, otherwise it wouldn’t work and there wouldn’t be change…
Florencia Yes…
Woman moderator And you (addressing both)…would you participate in a movement like that?
Florencia I don’t think so…I wouldn’t participate in a march with 10 other teens, I think that is something useless.
Carla No
Woman moderator You don’t Carla. Not through Facebook because of what we were discussing, but if it is announced in other media?
Florencia I think it is very nice that is organized by a teenager that organized a group and that really wants to do something, but no…
Woman moderator But, what other things can a group do or generate? I mean, I create a group and you joined the group because you felt identified with the cause, but is there something else that you do in addition to “join”.
Carla Well for example there are other groups, like the one I joined against the killing of the dogs.
Florencia …And they put images. They inform very extensively about the issue, whereas the group of the march just ‘calls’ or ‘invites’ people to march
Carla But I think they are organizations. Because I joined that and they show a video of where they burn the dogs…so if you have a dog or a pet or something like that then you don’t want to watch that video because you feel very bad. Then I received an email where they asked you to pay 10 pesos or something like that to help that organization, it was a gall that was organizing that, she wanted to do something.
Woman moderator Would you help? Would you collaborate on that movement?
Carla Now no because I am young, but later yes…
Woman moderator So, you would like to participate…
Florencia Well, I would like to know if the money really goes to the movement or it “gets lost”.
Woman moderator How would you know where the money goes?
Florencia Well, I would like to know if the Foundation has something more serious, such as a website, not just a group in Facebook. I would need another reference. There was another group named “Lets help x…” I don’t remember the full name. It was about a couple had a kid and this had a problem (disease) and they needed money because the baby was in a treatment and needed a special milk. They showed pictures of the baby with the parents. This is something different because it’s the life of a kid and it is a delicate topic. That group was truth, you could distinguish it was truth because the family had their friends in the group and they were commenting that they know the family or that they had relationships with the family and knew how they needed the help.
Woman moderator In this cases you think that technology can help?
Carla Then there was another group about a kid that was lost and it asked people to comment if they had seen it and they thanked the help and posted a number.
Woman moderator What do you do when you see a group like that or when you receive by email about something like that?
Carla I didn’t join that group, because I didn’t know the kid. I went in to see if I knew him, but no. If I would have know the name of the kid then I would have joined and help…
Woman moderator So for you is important that you know the name…what does that make you feel? Assurance that it is truth?
Carla Naturally…because I know that it is truth and that they are not going to disappear later.
Woman moderator If you don’t know the name you wouldn’t join or participate?
Carla Maybe I would join, I would give some money, but I wouldn’t look for the kid or maybe if you I found him then…I don’t know, I never found a lost kid (laughs).
Woman moderator Florencia, you were saying that you would forward it?
Florencia Yes, I would forward it minimum. It wouldn’t bother me.
Woman moderator We were talking about technology, the PC, mobile, Internet and Facebook. How do you think this technology can help teenagers to solve their problems?
Carla Yes
Woman moderator How?
Carla Well, for example there was a guy that had a problem in school, I didn’t have a problem with him, but he had problems and I went into a group and it read “stop an injustice”. Then I noticed that it was about a guy I knew that had problems in school and I showed my mom who it was because I had been away from him because they had blamed the guy for selling and consuming drugs. In the group he was saying that it is enough of problems that were going on and all the guys I know were in the group so I felt like I was not alone, that we all had fear when going “to dance” (or to a party). I realize that all the young people was going through the same thing…
Woman moderator And why is that important? To realize that you are not the only on, that everybody is going through the same thing…
Carla I don’t know…
Florencia Because it is published in the whole world and you don’t feel alone, because other people go through what you go through and you know that somebody else is in the same situation so there should be a solution.
Carla I agree…
Woman moderator And what do you need to find a solution?
Florencia There has to be a change from “very high” (politically) and it would be good if people know what goes on in young’s people life…
Carla Yes, but the president is not going to be worried about young people being worried about insecurity at parties or dances…they don’t care.
Woman moderator You think they don’t care? Or that your worries never reach the politicians? What do you think you have to do so that your worries are listened?
Florencia If we known somebody that is in power, but the ones that are now in power asks us how we want to see the future, but we don’t see the future and it is worse all the time.
Woman moderator You don’t see the future? You don’t see possibilities for change?
Florencia No.
Woman moderator And what happens when you see that these things happen and young people get together in groups to support a cause in Facebook, but nothing happens. How does that make you feel? Why do you think that happens?
Florencia The parent’s work, they have an education and they are not secure when you go out…
Woman moderator And you Carla. Why do you think young people (teenagers) join groups in Facebook? What are they looking for?
Carla Well, I think they join with the hope of changing something, but inside you really know you are not going to change anything. I tell them that we are not going to change the world, even if we join groups.
Woman moderator You think you are not going to change the world? (Laughs)
Carla No. I join because I really feel identified with something, because the groups have a description of what they are, for example, with the groups against the “teachers” they say “we don’t like the teachers because they don’t let us do this and that” and with the group about security issues, the guy from the group said that sometimes we are scared and you go out with fear and it is true, I really felt identified with that, that is why I joined because I know that it is a reality. You can’t even talk with the mobile in public, you have to hide the mobile.
Florencia They are everyday things that you live yourself.
Carla You don’t join because everybody joins, but because you know the cause is true.
Woman moderator So you join because you feel identified, because the same thing happens to you and you feel that everybody feels the same way. It is not like somebody wants to collect signatures for something?
Florencia Regarding the group of the animal killings, it is like in the past when they used to collect signatures and then they achieved something. But I don’t know if it works the same way.
Carla If it is an organization it works, especially if there is an adult or parent involved, a layer or something important, I mean, the ones that can change something, the ones involved in the government. They will be heard.
Woman moderator So you think there is a need to involve adults in the movements? Do you think they don’t get involved and they don’t listen to you?
Florencia Maybe there is a lack of communication…. or more precisely, they could care more about young people’s problems.
Carla Well, for example, it happens with the teacher of human rights, when we talk about the times/phenomena we are living in, she make us reflect and think about the future, but other people could listen too, the rectors, the government.
Woman moderator Why do you think the people get together in Facebook or in the chats or even in the blogs? I don’t know if you have one. Do you think that is better than collecting signatures? Is it easier?
Florencia Well, it is easier and more practical to do it in the Net than to look for people personally.
Woman moderator You think that is the reason. And you Carla, what do you think?
Carla The same. It is better because, for example, if there are 10 guys “marching” in the main square and there are police officers there, maybe they don’t arrest them, but they can tell them something. In Facebook if somebody important from the government sees a comment (criticism) they can’t do anything because they only see my name and surname.
Woman moderator You are not identified, they don’t know who it is. They cannot retaliate.
Carla Yes, they cannot identify me because there are a lot of persons with my name and surname. Or if they really want to find me then they can look for me and then kill me…
Woman moderator (nervious laugh) So there is some kind of fear that they find you even if there is privacy…?
Florencia Well if you post something then that has consequences… For example, I don’t know if an 18 year old needs an authorization from a parent to organize a march. In that sense, there is a limit to the privacy and you cannot do whatever you want.
Woman moderator So they join in order to participate without having too much problems?.
Carla Yes, they only want to participate by joining the group in order to give the support to another person. For example, all the groups I joined, my friends were there so I didn’t make any comment. Not a single one.
Woman moderator And for what do you use it normally (the FB group)?. To comment daily happenings or for what?
Carla Well sometimes you talked to one person, but not a lot…Once they showed pictures of the killing of an animal and I wanted to comment something, but I known that doesn’t help a lot. Besides, I am just a young person, I am not going to join an organization!
Woman moderator And when you grow up? Do you think you could do that?
Carla I don’t know if I would join or be in charge of something like that, but I would probably help, for example by giving 10 pesos to somebody, that is possible.
Woman moderator If you could define what is the difference of the use you make of the technology and the use adults make. What differences can you find? What advantages and disadvantages you find?
Florencia Well we are more active with technology, because we learned how to use it since we were little and we have learned more. About the utility we make of technology I think it benefits adults more because adults don’t get hooked and they don’t do a lot of silly things like we do with technology like spending 4 hours playing in FB.
Woman moderator Ok. And what can you say of you knowing more about the computer than your parents?
Florencia Now that we have the technology they had to call us to eat all the time and we were still in the computer. Is a very practical tool, before it was more difficult to find information. However it hooks you.
Woman moderator How the learning process happened? You were saying that it was…(laughs)
Carla You just learn! (Laughs)
Florencia Well, like a kid who discovers new things.
Woman moderator And your learning process? How was it? You mentioned that your older brother taught you. What other ways you used to learn?
Florencia In the school.
Carla In the school at first, all the programs required to make homework, like Word… (Laughs). Later…I remember that when I started getting to know the MSN and all those programs they didn’t let me connect to long because there was 1 PC for 3 students. Then when some PC was free I would connect and that’s how I learned…by getting online.
Woman moderator So you learned alone, just by going in and trying what has to be done or by watching what others do…
Carla Yes…
Florencia Yes, its not so difficult to learn to use them…
Woman moderator If you would have to choose one technological device of all the ones we talked about. If you would keep just one, which one would you keep?
Florencia With the PC.
Carla Well, I don’t know because in some years with the mobile you could be online and use everything even if you are not at home. And you can’t take the PC to speak when you go out.
Woman moderator So you would choose a mobile that has “everything”?
Carla Yes, of course.
Woman moderator What would “everything” be for example?
Carla A mobile that has MSN, Facebook and Google. There are already mobiles like that…
Woman moderator And for what would you use it?
Carla For the same…(laughs)
Florencia And you would be online 24 hours (laughs)
Carla Of course…(addressing Florencia) Because if in the future we need to choose one device and you choose the PC, how are you going to be online when you are not at home?
Florencia I would connect in the university (laughs)
Woman moderator Lets see not why Florencia chooses the PC? (Laughs)
Carla If we go out of the school and I want to call mom, how do you do it? If you have a cell phone you can do it…
Woman moderator You Florencia choose the PC. Why? What would the PC allow you to do?
Florencia Well, the search machines, the net and besides, there are pages where you can send mobile messages…so I just prefer the PC. It’s a global network.
Carla But if you have the same programs and pages in the Mobile? (Insisting on the supremacy of smart mobile over PC) why would you need a PC?
Florencia I would choose the PC. If I go out I always go to place were there is a PC.
Woman moderator Ok. Carla, you prefer the mobile. What happens when you don’t have the Mobile?
Carla I would feel like dying, very bad! When I am bored in the school when we are not doing anything (laughs)…when we have “group hour” I use the headphone or also in the bus I use them so I don’t get bored. I need it for everything, if I want to call my mom or my friends.
Woman moderator And you Florencia. What would a day without PC be for you?
Florencia It would complicate my life because I use it for many things. I wouldn’t survive, I would have to go to an “Internet café” or struggle to find the information somewhere.
Woman moderator How would you describe these devices (Mobile and PC)? How would you describe their importance for you?
Carla I can’t go out of the house without the mobile. If I need to call I use the mobile, if I need to see the time, to calculate something and to send a message.
Woman moderator How would you describe the mobile? If you could give it a name or an adjective? How would you name it?
Carla How would I (thinking)…mmm, I would call it ‘indispensable’.
Woman moderator And you Florencia. How would you call the PC?
Florencia As ‘complement’. I can live without it, but it is a very important complement.
Woman moderator And the kids that are 16 or 18 or similar age (teenagers) what does these technologies such as the PC, Facebook, mobile, MSN represent for kids your age?
Carla Well the same, the adults already know that if a teenager does not have a PC or mobile then that’s weird. They know that nowadays every teenager from 12-year old up have a mobile, even a little one. They know how important is for a teenager.
Nowadays both parents work so the kids have to be communicated. For example to know were the kids are.
Woman moderator To know were the kids are. Ok. And if you wouldn’t have these tools, what would you do?
Florencia I don’t know…
Woman moderator So these tools allow or make possible…what?
Florencia Is faster…
Carla The communication! If I wouldn’t have the mobile or if I don’t have credit in it then I would have to use the public phone.
Woman moderator (Laughs)
Florencia Also with the Internet you can communicate very fast when you are in university, for instance, if I need to send a document before 10am I can even send it 5min. before 10am and it would arrive. Those are the things…
Woman moderator Is practical.
Carla It is practical.
Woman moderator Ok. Let me see, I think we are ready or if we have something else. Oh yeah, if you could dream with something, some technological device, what kind of device would it be and what use would you make of it?
Carla A PC in a mobile.
Florencia …(Not clear)
Carla A robot too…
Woman moderator A robot for what for example?
Carla That does something and that has everything…the three things together…
Woman moderator Going back to Facebook and to the things that you post or that you don’t post. If you could say how many contacts you have, would you remember?
Florencia I have around 200.
Woman moderator In Facebook or in MSN?
Florencia In Facebook. In MSN I have many more. In the Face I have a lot from ‘somewhere’, some from the university and others from psychology groups and other groups. Then I have the people I don’t know, but I still add them, for example, the friend of a cousin, I add it.
Woman moderator So you add those kinds of people?
Florencia Yes, only if I have friends in common.
Woman moderator And you Carla. How many contacts you have?
Carla In Facebook around 500.
Woman moderator (Laughs) So you know 500 persons?
Carla No. But I have my friends, my acquaintances, friends of my friends from other school, neighbors, casual acquaintances and other that I don’t know, but I have common friends with them.
Woman moderator And about what you were saying about not putting some things…
Carla Well some girls post ‘I went to India for 3 days, call me to this phone #’. I wouldn’t put that. Besides, some people are always checking what is going on with other friends. The other day they send me a ‘chain mail’ by MSN that said that if you add ‘Ana’, but it was a boy, he talked with girls and recruited girls for models, but at the end they raped them. Everybody knew about it.
That’s when you realize you cannot post everything you are doing, you have to be careful with what you post.
Woman moderator You realize that is not necessary to post all that, you have to be careful. Does that happen to somebody close to you or you just heard about it?
Florencia I knew about that girl in Internet. They organized a march. The man that raped that girl had already been in jail, he was on parole. He raped her and then killed her. She was a friend of a friend of mine.
Woman moderator So you knew about that through Facebook, even if it didn’t happened because of Facebook.
Florencia I heard about that also in the news, but I didn’t know that people (friends in Facebook) knew her.
Woman moderator Is good to be careful when posting information. And when you find out about those kinds of happenings what do you do? Do you forward it? Do you comment about it?
Florencia You forward it. It does not cost anything.
Woman moderator Just to spread the information.
Woman moderator And you Carla?
Carla Well yes, you have to be aware. There was a 13-year old guy with 1000 friends, where from did he get so many friends? The other day a guy added me; we didn’t have any friends in common. I didn’t know him so I didn’t accept him. Sometimes they are girls too and I don’t add them because I don’t know who they are. I think some people just add others to show off how much friends they have.
Woman moderator Why do you think that happens? Than people add others just to show off.
Carla Because they want to brag about having a lot of friends, I am so popular and is somehow illogical because how many friends can a 13 year old have? Not that much.
Woman moderator Ok, so I think we are done. Something else?
Carla My farm is bigger (referring to some Facebook ‘game’ application)
Woman moderator (Laughs) Ahh your land has increased! Now you have to pick up the crop. …Ok girls, nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment