A group of researchers dedicated to work on the impact that the media produce at the audience

Blog of dissemination of the work of the Research in Media Institute about the project Youth Media Participation

Apr 10, 2010

Julián 17 years old

BRIEF RESUME
               Julián was the only adolescent, in all the interviews performed, that was not interested in new technologies only in his cell phone. He was also the only one that did not want to study; he just wanted to work following his father´s trade and  he was not interested almost in anything. 
He did not like playing videogames either and he said that the games on the phone were not good.    
His only real interest is to play football every day. And his favourite TV programmes are  football matches and “The Simpson”.  
This last one seems to be the programme  all kids prefer regardless age, gender or social level.
He lives in a very small town and does not have many friends on his cell phone. 
All the same, he receives at least 20 calls a day just to arrange with them where to meet, or play football. 
Obviously cell phones have become a social tool  kids are not willing to part with. 
Together with  his girlfriend, as she  had already told us, they have at least 50 calls a day. He said that was fun. 
And he also said that not having a cellphone,  “It´s like having my hands cut…I can´t do anything… 
You are out of everything…”. Once again, we found technology felt by them as part of their limbs; in this case his hands. 
And being out means to be excluded. 
TRANSCRIPTION (ENGLISH VERSION)

Interview performed in a rural area. 700 km. from the Capital City.
Julián 17 years old.
He is Leila´s boyfriend and lives 50 metres away from her house.
The interview was performed at Leila´s house. Leila´s mother and her husband were
there but this time we were left alone with the interviewee. The two sisters, Leila
and Julieta, and a friend, Barbara, went to the latter´s home, just next door.
Julian looked nervous, like being in a hurry. He said to his girlfriend: “I´ll be
with you soon”. It was as if he wanted to tell us to finish quickly.

T: I have already explained to Leila and her parents the reason for this interview.
Leila´s mother asked me not to record the interviews so my colleague is going to
takes notes. Is it ok with you?

J: It´s ok..its doesn’t matter..

T: Tell me Julian…which tecnological and commmnication devises do you have at home?

J: A telly…but I don´t watch it much.

T: What do you like to watch?

J: Football matches and “The Simpson”, but the truth is I´m not interested in the
telly.

T: And Internet?

J: I don´t have it. I´m not interested in it either.

T: Don´t you use it?

J: Not really.

T: At school?

J. At school there isn´t Internet either. You have to go to one of this cyber places
and I don´t. Actually, I go to school because they make me…I don´t want to study;
I´m not interested in it.

T: And what would you like to do?

J: I want to be an electrician, like my Dad, earn my own money and that´s all...In
the summer I work at my uncle´s supermarket and in that way I have money for myself.

T: And do you have a mobile phone?

J: Yes, I do. And a good one. Look I can take pictures…

T: Who bought it?
J: I did. I bought it with the money I earned in the summer. Before I had a lousy
one, but I sold it to another guy and with the money I earned I bought this one.

T: What do you use it for?

J: I get in touch with friends, with Leila, my girlfriend. We live next door but
just the same we send each other messages frequently. I also upload photos and send
them. Leila received a mobile like mine for her birthday. It was the only thing
she wanted. They are expensive but they have everything you need.

T. How many friends do you have in it?

J: 25. We send each other messages to fix the time to play ball, or where we´ll meet.

T: Do you play ball a lot?

J: It´s what I like best! We play almost every day.

T: And the videogames?

J . Not much…they are lousy…at least the ones on the mobile.
Besides I have to watch my credit. If it’s over I can’t send messages.

T. And what do you do then?

J: I don´t send them. I only receive them. My friends always write to me.

T:How many messages do you receive per day?

J: From my friends at least 20 and from Leila a lot more…

T: How many?

J: About 50; she writes to me all the time and I live next door…but it´s fun, we´re
always connected.

T What happens if you don´t have your mobile?

J: It´s like having my hands cut…I can´t do anything…

T: What do you mean by “I can´t do anything”?

J :…you´re out of everything…at school everybody has one. What can you do? Nothing.

T: And wouldn´t you like to have Internet and chat?

J: The truth is, I´m not interested. I already told you that I only like to play
football with my friends and what I really want is to finish school or leave it and
start working. I study ´cause my parents make me, but really and truly I don’t like
it.

J: May I go now?

T: Yes, Julian, you may. Thank you so much for your time and good luck with football and your girlfriend.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment