A group of researchers dedicated to work on the impact that the media produce at the audience

Blog of dissemination of the work of the Research in Media Institute about the project Youth Media Participation

Apr 15, 2010

Sol and Paula 10 years old

BRIEF RESUME

Both girls are going to the same catholic school and are close friends. They usually play together and they are also doing extra school activities. Sol is the daughter of a close friend so it was easier for her to talk and explain some things. Paula is very shy.

It is interesting to see the powerful effect of these means of communication on their every day life. It seems that when they are bored or don’t have a friend to play with, they turn to the means available. Paula says: “when I am playing with someone I am playing with the person and when I am bored I play with my phone”.

Cell phones mean: feeling important, more adult, fun, company, in touch with friends…; much more than parents´ protection.

Facebook, MSN, games, are there everyday in Sol´s life. It seems Paula wants to do the same but she has technical problems with internet connection. Games and having fun are the most important goals for them when surfing the net.

Sol spends a lot of time in front of the computer and she can be in five places at the same time. They know a lot about technology and they can imagine new things to try. Privacy is very important for both kids. Internet is not used much for school homework. They are familiar with Wikipedia but they don’t use it.

It is interesting the way that new technology replaces the old one: to go to their cell phones to see the time is easier for them than to turn to a regular watch.

Advertisements are everywhere and they know it. Sol also hooks on everything that appears on the web (when she is playing or chatting) but most of the time she doesn’t read what it is all about. All the same, they can remember brands and they know how to buy and how to use credit cards. “Everything has a price…”.

The values of a consumer society seem to be very important for these two kids just ten years old.


TRANSCRIPTION (ENGLISH VERSION)

Woman moderator (not clear): How old are you? Nine years, ten?, ok.
(Sol was going to have her birthday on 3 days, that way she was doughty about her age, that was the reason of the conversation and finally we accept 10 as her age)
Well, tell me what technologic devices you have in your homes?
Sol: Computer, TV, microwave
Woman moderator:How many televisions?
Sol One TV. Then we have microwave, telephone
Woman moderator One TV, microwave, what else?
Paula Telephone. Oven?
Woman moderator Well, that is not technology, let’s focus on communication technologies and leave out microwave now. What communication technology do you have in your home?
Kid one Well, I told you computer and TV too.
Woman moderator TV, Telephone…
Kid one …and mobile phones!
Woman moderator How many mobile phones?
Kid one Lets see, one, three (counting). We have four.
Woman moderator Four. One for each of you? Wow!
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator Since when do you have cell phones?
Kid one I don’t remember, I think since this year.
Woman moderator And Internet? You have internet since this year too?
Kid two Yes
Woman moderator Well, and from all these things you have which is the one you like the most?
Kid one The PC and mobile phone
Woman moderator More than the TV?
Kid one Well, I do like the TV.
Woman moderator Ok, first the PC and then the mobile phone. And why do you like the PC?
Kid one Because it’s fun
Woman moderator Why is it fun? Tell me…
Kid one Because I can play, chat with my friends and I don’t spend money in phone.
Woman moderator (Laugh)…Ok, what else?
Kid one Because for me the msn messenger is more private for example than the (land) phone.
Kid two Yes, because sometimes when you have two phones (land phones) they can listen from another terminal to everything you say. It has happened to me, they do it like this…(showing)
Woman moderator What do you do when you have two phones and from one they hear you everything. What happens then?
Kid one They do like this and start to listen (showing).
Kid two I have also heard that they can listen when there are two phones.
Woman moderator You have two phones?
Kid one No, but imagine, one of my friends could be talking on the phone saying she likes a guy and that she does not like certain girl and somebody could be hearing that!
Woman moderator And that does not happen with the computer?
Kid one With the computer now there is, how can I call them, like a new messenger and one of my friends know how to read other’s persons conversations…
Woman moderator Yeah, but can you really do that?... So what do you think about that?
Kid one Yes, it can be done. I think that Internet is not very private either. You have to be careful…
Woman moderator But what is what you like the in the PC?
Kid one What I like the most is to play and to talk with my friends.
Woman moderator What game do you like the most?
Kid one Facebook
Woman moderator Facebook, is it a game?
Kid one Well, yes because you can talk to people and do a lot of things. Besides, you can download games to play.
Woman moderator What games do Facebook has?
Kid one I use the ‘pets-society’ and the ‘waca-waca’…
Woman moderator What! What is that ‘pet-society’?
Kid one There is a pet and it has lot of money and businesses, it can buy things and visit friends, take a coffee, buy clothes, build a house, visit people and meet people new people…
Woman moderator But I thought the Facebook was something else. What is the Facebook? (asking kid two) you don’t have Facebook?
Kid two I don’t know if I have…
Kid one In reality it is to talk, and I don’t know, to watch advertising and pictures…
Woman moderator Watch advertising? What kind of advertising? Of what?
Kid one Well, for example when you are playing there is advertising that asks you if you like something or don’t and you ‘have’ to answer.
Woman moderator And you answer?
Kid one Yes. Most of the time I answer those questions with ‘yes, I like’
Woman moderator But, it asks ‘do you like’ what thing?
Kid one Well for example a computer, do you like that it has this and this, speakers, a lot of memory…mmm, I don’t know…
Woman moderator Try to remember! You told me that you answer those questions while playing and that you put “yes I like, yes I like”…You don’t look at the drawings?
Kid one I am not very interested in them…
Woman moderator And why do you put “yes I like, yes I like”?
Kid one Because I am bored (laughs)
Woman moderator But how can you be bored if you are playing?
Kid one Because when a game finishes you don’t have anything to do and there is a pause that can take time.
Woman moderator But imagine that you are playing and the advertising appears on the side, do you answer it?
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator Always?
Kid one Not always, once in a while I don’t answer it.
Woman moderator But almost always. How often you answer it?
Kid one Almost always
Woman moderator Without reading it?!
Kid one mmm…(accepting and probably feeling embarrassed)
Woman moderator So this means that you don’t event know what is it about?
Kid one No. Sometimes I have read it, once it was about a shampoo. (changing the topic) Besides I like that in Facebook you can invite friends to play in the games, for example I also play the ‘waka-waka’.
Woman moderator What is the waka-waka? How do you write it?
Kid one W-a-k-a. The game is about a little yellow ball that eats the little circles.
Woman moderator A ball?
Kid two But that is not the ‘waka-waka’, in the school they play it with paper balls.
Kid one No, but that is not the same! This is different…
Kid two They do it like this (showing)…
Woman moderator And in the school they say that it is ‘waka-waka’?. They play like if it was ‘waka-waka’?
Kid two Yes…is ‘waka-waka’
Kid one No, but I don’t remember the name of that, but its not ‘waka-waka’.
Then, there is one game that you build a garden and you can buy seeds and plant them and take care of the plants so you can have more money.
Woman moderator And what for do you want more money?
Kid one I don’t know, is how the game works. You can buy a lot of things. What I like the most about ‘play-fish’, because there are two things about ‘play-fish’. What I like is that you can buy things.
Woman moderator What!
Kid one Yes, for example there is a place that is a business that I don’t remember what’s its name and they sell falls and things like that, everything has a price, in the bottom it says this costs 10 pesos or 20.
Woman moderator But just as a game? You don’t have to put real money?
Kid one Yes, as a game. You have to go to the place where the guys are and pay them.
Woman moderator But do you have to pay with real money?
Kid one Well, no. There is a “fake” cashier so you go there and it asks you some questions, for example, with what credit card you are going to pay, mastercard or visa….
Woman moderator How many questions?
Kid one I think only three.
Woman moderator What is this game?
Kid one ‘Pets-society’
Woman moderator
What is that? Excuse me, I don’t understand. You were talking about ‘waka-waka’ and now ‘Pets-something’ …
Kid one The ‘waka-waka’ is another game.
Woman moderator ‘Waka-waka’ is other game. So ‘play-fish’ is another game in Facebook?
Kid one Is another place where there are games.
Woman moderator In Facebook?
Kid one Yes.
Woman moderator Ok. So that ‘play-fish’ that you use has a cashier and it asks you what credit card to use. So you have to learn how to use your parents’ credit cards, because you don’t have cards obviously.
Kid one Yes, I think so. But once I did not put it and nothing happen.
Woman moderator How you didn’t put it?
Kid one I just didn’t put it.
Woman moderator And what do they say?
Kid one Nothing because I didn’t had a credit card.
Woman moderator And what do they sell there?
Kid one Parrots, falls, boats…
Woman moderator And, if you don’t have money to buy anything in all the game?
Kid one You have to pay with money.
Woman moderator But, if you want to sell something so that you get little money, can you do that in the game so you can buy things?
Kid one No, those things no. You have to get the money from luxury…
Woman moderator I didn’t know about this. And what is the business?
Kid one I don’t remember.
Woman moderator I really didn’t know that. So you buy virtual things, because you don’t have any gold or anything in your house.
Kid one Well if you pay for example a fall then they let you can take it.
Woman moderator You can take it where?
Kid one To your house.
Woman moderator But not to your real house. You can’t put a fall or a parrot in you bedroom?. It is a fake. I mean what they give you is the authorization to take it in the computer and put it somewhere else.?
Woman moderator And a lot of kids buy things?
Kid one No, but I have a friend that bought a horse.
Woman moderator Wow, I didn’t know you could do that…So, what you like the most is the PC.
Kid one And the mobile phone.
Woman moderator And the mobile phone for what?
Kid one To talk with my friends and send them messages. Also to play games when I am bored and because you can take it anywhere.
Woman moderator Why do you like to take it anywhere?
Kid one I don’t know. It is fun…
Woman moderator You have a pink one, right?
Kid one Yes. Jorge has a new one…
Woman moderator And you have it always charged (with money)?
Kid one I don’t know (it means ‘it varies’ or ‘it depends’) I have not been using it lately because I have been at home.
Woman moderator How do you recharge it?
Kid one It asks you something about the card and there’s a code…
Woman moderator What card?
Kid one The Sim card, where there is a chip, there is a code, the sim code…
Woman moderator It asks you what?! Are you sure?
Kid one It’s called the Sim code.
Woman moderator How do you know all this?
Kid one Because my mom said...that…mmm
Woman moderator You also have a mobile phone? (asking to the other kid) Is that the same kind?
Kid two No, is different.
Kid one (trying to put one sim card in a phone) mmm…it asks me that because it knows that it has been a long time that it does not have my chip (referring to the mobile phone)
Woman moderator Ahhh you have another chip?
Kid one Yes, I have mine. This is hers.
Woman moderator And now you put her chip in a new mobile phone? Aahh, ok. So what else you like of the mobile?
Kid one That you can report where you are.
Woman moderator And what other thing you like?
Kid one Of the mobile?
Woman moderator Yes, I mean what do you feel of taking it wherever you go?
Kid one I feel important.
Woman moderator Why do you think the mobile gives importance to the ones that carry one?
Kid one It makes me feel free.
Woman moderator You know what happened when the mobile phones just appeared for the first time? There were these plastic toy mobile phones and even adults were buying this and faking they were speaking like if it was a real mobile! And we could notice that, I catch one doing it! Why do you think they were doing that?
Kid one Because they wanted to feel important.
Woman moderator Yes, because they wanted to feel important. Exactly, because the mobile phone gave you something…I don’t know what…And what else the mobile phone gives you? Tell me…
Kid one Well, it is fun because you can get to know new places. The same with the PC.
Woman moderator How can you know new places?
Kid one For example in the PC you can go to a webpage and you type something and have results, imagine! and then you can get all the pages you want, for fun, for laziness and for everything…
Woman moderator Ahhh…(laughs) And for the school?
Kid one The PC?
Woman moderator Yes
Kid one I don’t use it in the school.
Woman moderator No?
Kid one No, only when I work in the house.
Woman moderator Why?
Kid one Because they called my attention for something I was looking.
Woman moderator What were you looking?
Kid one Information of…(something)
Woman moderator And where did you looked for that?
Kid one In Internet.
Woman moderator But where in Internet?
Kid one In google, I typed something…I didn’t used wikipedia…
Woman moderator And why you didn’t use wikipedia?
Kid one …(not clear)…
Woman moderator What is wikipedia and what is google?
Kid one Google is an internet page.
Woman moderator For what?
Kid one To search.
Woman moderator So is a search-engine.
Kid one And wikipedia is an encyclopedia in Internet.
Woman moderator And what did you find?
Kid one Something about sharks, octopus, spiders….
Woman moderator Do you know any other site? What is your home-site when you open the web browser in your PC?
Kid one In Internet I go to google, but is a new page because there are two, one that has a white thing and another one that is new.
Woman moderator Ok. To which do you go?
Kid one To the new one.
Woman moderator And what is there? Where do you go when you go there?
Kid one Immediately Facebook starts…
Woman moderator AAAhhh…ok
Kid one And then there is are many tabs, one of them has games.
Woman moderator In this new google place there are games that are also in Facebook?
Kid one They are normal games, there is one that you use it like this…you have to put your password…
Woman moderator But they are not Disney games that you used to like a lot? Remember?
Kid one If I want Disney I have to write ‘disneylandia’.
Woman moderator You don’t go to those anymore? You used to like them a lot…and now?
Kid one I don’t know why I don’t use it much, sometimes I used them, but now I like other games, some new ones…There are other that you put something…
Woman moderator What other places there are?
Kid one Well I like Disney but when I go to the Disney page I don’t like it because the page never lets you go in…
Woman moderator Why? What do you mean it does not let you in?
Kid one I don’t know, the other day I went to the page and it never loaded or it said something and then started loading again.
Woman moderator Ahh, it was very slow.
Kid one Yes.
Woman moderator Mmm. Then when you go to play to what page you go always.
Kid one To Facebook.
Woman moderator I didn’t know Facebook had games.
Kid one Well, in reality sometimes I leave Facebook open and use something else to play with my friends.
Woman moderator For example?
Kid one I go to other games in other tab or other window.
Woman moderator How many tabs do you open?
Kid one Sometimes even 5.
Woman moderator What does that mean?
Kid one Well I open Facebook then I go to ‘pets’ in another page and then I open other tab or window and open something else and the messenger.
Woman moderator You open all these pages at the same time and you play and talk to everybody at the same time?
Kid one More or less…yes.
Woman moderator And if somebody comes to the messenger you start chatting too?
Kid one Yes, it can get crazy.
Woman moderator Yes, I am sure! And when you talk to your friends in the Facebook what do you talk about?
Kid one When my friends get online I like to talk to them through messenger because I like it more than the Facebook chat…so I close the Facebook and start talking in the MSN messenger.
Woman moderator So you can talk in any of them? (Facebook and messenger)
Kid one Yes, but I use messenger.
Woman moderator Why?
Kid one It is easier. You can talk in Facebook too, but I like more the messenger…
Woman moderator What do you like of it?
Kid one I think it is more comfortable to talk?
Woman moderator Why?
Kid one I don’t know…
Woman moderator I cannot say the difference because I have never had a Facebook. And how many friends you have in Facebook?
Kid one 16
Woman moderator 16 friends in Facebook? And who they are?
Kid one I have to mention all of them?
Woman moderator Well I want to know where are they from. Are they cousins, neighbors, classmates…?
Kid one Relatives and classmates from school.
Woman moderator What relatives?
Kid one Uncles, cousins and parents.
Woman moderator What uncles?
Kid one Uncle Pato and Sergio.
Woman moderator And Santiago?
Kid one No
Woman moderator So how do you talk with Santiago then, by messenger?
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator Ahhhhh. What a ‘mess’ is this. So how do you find them? Do you find them directly? Do you call them? How is this?
Kid one In the messenger you can talk by the phone too.
Woman moderator How?
Kid one You can have a phone and then you talk.
Woman moderator So you listen to the voice and you answer by writing?
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator And the picture? …(not clear)
Kid one …I write different in the messenger. For example “I like you” I write ‘Ily’ and how are you ‘howdy’ or ‘whatdy’ is what do you do…
Woman moderator So you cut all the words?
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator (Addressing kid two) Hey! with you I have not talked. Tell me what do you have in your house?
Kid two I have PC, mobile phone.
Woman moderator PC with Internet?
Kid two I think so.
Woman moderator How do you know if you have Internet? Do you have messenger?
Kid two Yes.
Woman moderator Then you have internet.
Kid one Yes, she has Internet, but sometimes it does not connect. The PC has something wrong…
Woman moderator So they don’t let you use it?
Kid two No, what happens is that when I go out, then I try to go in and its says I cant connect again. It shows a message.
Woman moderator Can your mom use the internet?
Kid one The thing is that her mom could help her fix the internet.
Woman moderator How many sisters you have?
Kid two I have one
Woman moderator How old is her?
Kid two 13
Woman moderator And she does not explain you how to use the Internet?
Kid two Well, the same happens to her.
Woman moderator Ahhh, so you have the same problem.
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator So you cannot use the internet for the school or anything?! And did you asked your mom about that?
Kid two Well, my father comes from work before my mom.
Woman moderator So you are paying internet and you cant use it?! Not even for the school?
Kid two Yes. For the school yes, but to the messenger no.
Woman moderator Ahh, you can’t ‘talk’ (means chat). How long ago you use the internet? A long time?
Kid two I don’t remember…
Woman moderator Do you have a mobile? What do you do when it is not charged? (it means when it does not have money.
Kid two Well then I call my dad and he buys the card…
Woman moderator And your sister also has a mobile phone?
Kid two Yes
Woman moderator How many TVs you have at home?
Kid two Three
Woman moderator Three TVs?! Wow! One in each room?
Kid two One in my sister’s room, one in my room and the other in my parents’ bedroom.
Woman moderator Wow! One in each room. Then you must watch the TV alone?.
Kid one No, with my sister.
Woman moderator Always with your sister?
Kid two Yes.
Woman moderator Yes. In what room?
Kid two In mine, but sometimes I go to my sister’s room or my parents room.
Woman moderator So you always watch TV together?’
Kid two Well almost, not always. Sometimes we go to different rooms.
Woman moderator And you each watch your own TV so that you can see different programs that you each like?
Kid two Yes
Woman moderator What programs?
Kid two I watch sometimes Disney Channel and my sister I don’t know what she watches…anything
Woman moderator And what do you watch together?
Kid two ‘Almost angels’(adolescents soap opera Third year.)
Woman moderator You watch that together?
Kid two Yes
Woman moderator So you tell each other: ‘Almost angels’ is going to start! Lets watch it!
Kid two Yes, because we both like ‘Almost angels’ a lot so we tell each other that, for example, if one is doing homework the other must tell her that ‘Almost angels’ is going to start and viceversa.
Woman moderator And then you watch it together? And you talk about that too? You discuss about the show?
Kid two Yes, we say we don’t like that girl and things like that…
Woman moderator Yes and you discuss about the characters, about what is going to happen?
Kid two Well, when I have to go to the bathroom I have to ask what happened, that is why I don’t like to go to the bathroom.
Woman moderator And you watch the advertizing? Or do you change the channel? Do you do sapping (change the channel)?
Kid two Sometimes we change the channel to see the time or just to see what is in the other channel.
Woman moderator What do you do, you change it too? (asking kid one)
Kid one Well some programs do not have a lot of breaks. (advertising)
Woman moderator It does not have breaks?
Kid one Is because it does not have a lot of cuts, instead it shows parts of the next episode of “teenagers” or it asks questions, for example if you like the show you can send a message or something…
Woman moderator And you like that show? What else do they advertize during ‘Almost angels’?
Kid one The shoes “Sally” and chocolates ‘x’
Woman moderator Which chocolate?
Kid two One that comes in a big bottle with a little drawing.
Woman moderator Have you tried that chocolate?
Kid two I think we have, yes.
Woman moderator You bought it? (asking kid one)
Kid one No, I didn’t. I don’t like chocolate that much.
Woman moderator Do you remember the name of the chocolates?
Kid two No.
Woman moderator It has been a long time since they put chocolates in the advertizing?
Kid two Yes.
Kid one What they put is that one girl says ‘Ohhh, it’s a shame the chocolates ended!’…
Kid two Ahh, I remember they show some ‘chocolates Mariel’
Woman moderator What?
Kid two Yes they come in a small box.
Woman moderator What chocolates do you know? Do you like chocolates?
Kid two Yes, I like them.
Kid one I don’t like them, but I know some brands.
Woman moderator What kind?
Kid one Well for example the ones ‘pretty cow’.
Kid two Yes, they have messages like ‘I love you’ ‘I am your friend’…
Woman moderator But do you remember the brand of the chocolates?
Kid one Yes, one of them is ‘Abal’
Woman moderator That is a game.
Kid one Ahhh, yes I remember the one that is named ‘two hearts’
Woman moderator Yes, it is true they exist. What is the chocolate you like the most?
Kid one ‘Two hearts’
Kid two The one with the messages.
Woman moderator The one with the messages?
Kid two Yes, because I like that chocolate.
Woman moderator And all your classmates have PC? (asking kid two)
Kid two Yes, I think they do.
Woman moderator And all of them have mobile too?
Kid two I have no idea
Woman moderator You don’t know?
Kid two No.
Woman moderator They don’t take it to school?
Kid two/Kid one No.
Woman moderator And do you like to have mobile?
Kid two Yes.
Woman moderator When did you receive it as a present?
Kid one I think last year.
Woman moderator And do you feel good to have it? Like ‘kid one’?
Kid two Yes. No I don’t use it a lot, but I used to receive a lot of messages from a woman that worked in my mom’s job, but they she stopped working there and we stop sending too much messages and then we stopped completely.
Woman moderator So when you were younger you liked to send messages more? What about now?
Kid two Now I don’t use the mobile a lot anymore. I use it only to play and to see the time.
Woman moderator The mobile shows the time?
Kid two Yes, it always shows it.
Woman moderator And you don’t want a watch to see the time?
Kid two I don’t know…
Kid one I like to see the time in the mobile too because I don’t understand the other watches. Only the ones that show the time like ‘five then two dots, thirty’ (digital display watch)
Woman moderator You do understand those…
Kid two I also prefer the ones with the two dots (digital display watch)
Woman moderator Lets see, tell me what time is in that clock? (to kid one)
Kid one In which one?
Woman moderator That one…(pointing)
Kid two Well that is easy. It’s 2:10pm…
Woman moderator Very well. So you can read that kind of clock if it has numbers, but still you both prefer a digital display.
Kid two Yes, It is better with numbers.
Woman moderator I like this, look at my watch…
Kid one It is big so you can see the numbers easy
Woman moderator So, then the mobile phone makes you feel what?
Kid one Important.
Kid two I don’t use it that much, but when I go out I take it.
Woman moderator For what?
Kid two I don’t know.
Kid one To feel important in the city center (a ‘joke’)
Woman moderator (laughs)
Kid two So that they look at me with the mobile. I fell like older, I don’t know…
Woman moderator So you feel older with the mobile, ok. Do you thing the mobile is a thing for adults?
Kid two Yes, I thing is for adults so when I use it I feel older.
Woman moderator So when you take it you see the time and play games?
Kid two I need it for the time not for the games.
Woman moderator But when you take it with you can always play. And you like to show it when you go out? Where do you take it?
Kid two When they invite me for example for ice-cream, that I don’t really like, or some other place then I take it.
Woman moderator And you take it out?
Kid two Yes, and when I am bored I take it out.
Woman moderator And when you are bored, when you feel lonely, when they are not playing with you, do you take it out knowing that you will have something to do? That is the idea?
Kid two Yes, it is like that.
Woman moderator And when you are having fun do you take it out?
Kid two No
Woman moderator So…
Kid one (Constantly saying jokes or making fun of kid two) …playing with the mobile all the time…
Kid two Well when I am playing with someone I play with the person and when I am bored I play with my phone.
Woman moderator Do you feel bad when the girls don’t invite you to play?
Kid one (joke) …because she is playing with the mobile…
Woman moderator If you would have to give up something what would you give up? TV, PC or mobile?
Kid two I would give up the TV.
Woman moderator You would give up the TV…and would you for example like a TV in the mobile?
Kid two No
Woman moderator What would you give up? (asking kid one)
Kid one I would take two things and give up two things.
Woman moderator What would you give up?
Kid one I would give up the TV and the PC and would keep the music and the mobile.
Woman moderator What music? MP3?
Kid one Well the music, in general
Woman moderator Well yes, but I thought you had MP3
Kid one Yes I have.
Woman moderator And you use it? (asking ‘kid two’)
Kid two it The MP3, yes I use.
Woman moderator For what?
Kid two To listen to music
Woman moderator Yes, but where do you use it?
Kid two When I go out and in my house for example when I don’t have anything to do and I want to listen to music. Because I don’t like the ‘regeton’.
Kid one I like regeton. (starts dancing and singing ‘regeton’)
Woman moderator And you have a lot of songs? Where do you get the music from?
Kid two I don’t put it, the neighbor from downstairs puts it.
Woman moderator The neighbor?
Kid two Yes, he has an MP3 and he puts the songs in mine.
Woman moderator And your sister has MP3 too?
Kid two Yes she has, but mine is blue and hers is red.
Woman moderator And you ‘kid one’, do you have MP3?
Kid one Yes, but it’s not mine, it’s my mom’s, but I listen to music in the PC.
Woman moderator What music do you like?
Kid one I don’t really like regeton, I like ‘calamaro’, The ‘oreja de vangog’ and I don’t remember…
Woman moderator When do yo listen to music?
Kid one When I am bored, when I am cleaning…
Woman moderator Yes it is nice to listen while cleaning.
Kid one Yes.
Woman moderator Ok ‘kid one’ then you said you would give up 2 things, the TV and the PC. So you would keep the mobile?
Kid one Yes.
Woman moderator If you don’t use the mobile very much why would you keep it?
Kid one Because it makes me feel important.
Woman moderator Ahh, yes and the PC nobody sees it, nobody knows you have it.
Writing in the messenger doesn’t make you feel important?
Kid one No, because I can also send messages with the mobile.
Woman moderator So it’s the same for you to talk with the PC or with the mobile. How do you think the mobile phones of the future would be?
Kid one The ones of the future…(thinking) I think the person is going to be visible from the shoulders up and you don’t need to send messages because you can see the person and talk.
Woman moderator So you would be able to see the person?
Kid one Yes.
Kid two The person shows, really? Do those mobiles exist already?
Woman moderator Not yet, but they are making them. They are investigating how to make them. In Japan.
Kid one And then you don’t need to put money on the SIM card very often because you can put even 500 pesos and they would be saved in a metal part of the mobile.
Woman moderator What else would you like in your mobile?
Kid one I don’t know, Internet no.
Woman moderator You don’t want a mobile with Internet?
Kid one No. I will like one that sends me the news, for example ‘there is a fire in a building’ or something like that.
Woman moderator You like the news?
Kid one I like interesting and important things. For example, to see ‘Almost angels’ (as a joke)
Woman moderator (laughs) And you ‘kid two’? How do you imagine?…Wait a minute you say you would give up what?
Kid two I would give up the TV and would keep the PC and mobile.
Woman moderator And what do you like more the PC or the mobile?
Kid two The PC.
Woman moderator Why?
Kid two Because if I connect to the Internet I can chat and play.
Woman moderator But if you can play and send messages through the mobile?
Do you send messages from mobile?
Kid two Yes.
Woman moderator How do you imagine the mobile of the future?
Kid two I don’t know…I have never thought about it…
Woman moderator How would you like it to be?
Kid one (joking) I would like a squared one with keyboard and you can manage it with a little pencil…
Woman moderator Without keyboard?
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator What else would you want? TV in the mobile, only the important things…
Kid one To see ‘important things’ and Internet is basic.
Woman moderator What else?
Kid one That it has games.
Woman moderator But this mobile already has games, right? It has all the games?
Kid one Yes, but I would like that there is a page called ‘thousand games’
Woman moderator There is one?
Kid one No, just imagine…I would like it to exist.
Woman moderator Ok, but we are talking of the mobile or the PC?
Kid one …(hesitating) The PC. I would like a page where you sign in and you get all the games you want and all the games that exist.
Woman moderator And for example, do you play in the net with other kids?
Kid one Yes, the messenger also has something to play.
Kid two Yes.
Woman moderator In the messenger you can play too?
Kid one Yes, you can open a section in messenger that has games, it has ‘one’ and cards.
Woman moderator And with who did you play cards?
Kid one With my dad, but with him is only cards.
Woman moderator But, you were not playing with your cousins? With Ramiro and Paloma for example, were you playing something?
Kid one No.
Kid two I was playing something with them and I was visiting in their homes.
Woman moderator You went to their homes to visit them? Did you play with them?
Kid one You can do that in the messenger too. Well not in the msn messenger, for example, you send a letter then you ask for something and the person then reads the letter or it can be a present.
Woman moderator And you sent that to the kids and they also sent something to you?
Kid one Very little and I was asking things from them or I was contacting somebody that I liked. With one kid that had a microphone in the PC we were playing something too…
Woman moderator What kid it was?
Kid one Federico from school.
Woman moderator And did you played like that in internet? (asking ‘kid two’) have you played always like that? He (referring to ‘kid one’) just recently got Internet and he uses it like if he had always had it! I don’t understand that.
Woman moderator Oh, how pretty necklace you have. Where did you get it? It is very nice…
Kid one She bough it in the Internet. (joke, laughs)
Kid two I got it from my mom.
Woman moderator Have you buy something from the Internet?
Kid one No…
Woman moderator Ok…Something else you want to tell me?
Kid one Yes, I feel like eating ice-cream.
Kid two I feel like eating ‘chipa’
Woman moderator I don’t know how to do that.
Kid one Lets make ‘chipa’! We just need to buy a special flour and we can make it.
Woman moderator Can you do that in the microwave? Because I don’t know how…I have no idea how to make it.
END


Speaker Comment
Woman moderator (not clear) How old are you? Nine years, ten?, ok.
(Sol was going to have her birthday on 3 days, that way she was doughty about her age, that was the reason of the conversation and finally we accept 10 as her age)
Well, tell me what technologic devices you have in your homes?

Sol Computer, TV, microwave
Woman moderator How many televisions?
Sol One TV. Then we have microwave, telephone
Woman moderator One TV, microwave, what else?
Paula Telephone. Oven?
Woman moderator Well, that is not technology, let’s focus on communication technologies and leave out microwave now. What communication technology do you have in your home?
Kid one Well, I told you computer and TV too.
Woman moderator TV, Telephone…
Kid one …and mobile phones!
Woman moderator How many mobile phones?
Kid one Lets see, one, three (counting). We have four.
Woman moderator Four. One for each of you? Wow!
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator Since when do you have cell phones?
Kid one I don’t remember, I think since this year.
Woman moderator And Internet? You have internet since this year too?
Kid two Yes
Woman moderator Well, and from all these things you have which is the one you like the most?
Kid one The PC and mobile phone
Woman moderator More than the TV?
Kid one Well, I do like the TV.
Woman moderator Ok, first the PC and then the mobile phone. And why do you like the PC?
Kid one Because it’s fun
Woman moderator Why is it fun? Tell me…
Kid one Because I can play, chat with my friends and I don’t spend money in phone.
Woman moderator (Laugh)…Ok, what else?
Kid one Because for me the msn messenger is more private for example than the (land) phone.
Kid two Yes, because sometimes when you have two phones (land phones) they can listen from another terminal to everything you say. It has happened to me, they do it like this…(showing)
Woman moderator What do you do when you have two phones and from one they hear you everything. What happens then?
Kid one They do like this and start to listen (showing).
Kid two I have also heard that they can listen when there are two phones.
Woman moderator You have two phones?
Kid one No, but imagine, one of my friends could be talking on the phone saying she likes a guy and that she does not like certain girl and somebody could be hearing that!
Woman moderator And that does not happen with the computer?
Kid one With the computer now there is, how can I call them, like a new messenger and one of my friends know how to read other’s persons conversations…
Woman moderator Yeah, but can you really do that?... So what do you think about that?
Kid one Yes, it can be done. I think that Internet is not very private either. You have to be careful…
Woman moderator But what is what you like the in the PC?
Kid one What I like the most is to play and to talk with my friends.
Woman moderator What game do you like the most?
Kid one Facebook
Woman moderator Facebook, is it a game?
Kid one Well, yes because you can talk to people and do a lot of things. Besides, you can download games to play.
Woman moderator What games do Facebook has?
Kid one I use the ‘pets-society’ and the ‘waca-waca’…
Woman moderator What! What is that ‘pet-society’?
Kid one There is a pet and it has lot of money and businesses, it can buy things and visit friends, take a coffee, buy clothes, build a house, visit people and meet people new people…
Woman moderator But I thought the Facebook was something else. What is the Facebook? (asking kid two) you don’t have Facebook?
Kid two I don’t know if I have…
Kid one In reality it is to talk, and I don’t know, to watch advertising and pictures…
Woman moderator Watch advertising? What kind of advertising? Of what?
Kid one Well, for example when you are playing there is advertising that asks you if you like something or don’t and you ‘have’ to answer.
Woman moderator And you answer?
Kid one Yes. Most of the time I answer those questions with ‘yes, I like’
Woman moderator But, it asks ‘do you like’ what thing?
Kid one Well for example a computer, do you like that it has this and this, speakers, a lot of memory…mmm, I don’t know…
Woman moderator Try to remember! You told me that you answer those questions while playing and that you put “yes I like, yes I like”…You don’t look at the drawings?
Kid one I am not very interested in them…
Woman moderator And why do you put “yes I like, yes I like”?
Kid one Because I am bored (laughs)
Woman moderator But how can you be bored if you are playing?
Kid one Because when a game finishes you don’t have anything to do and there is a pause that can take time.
Woman moderator But imagine that you are playing and the advertising appears on the side, do you answer it?
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator Always?
Kid one Not always, once in a while I don’t answer it.
Woman moderator But almost always. How often you answer it?
Kid one Almost always
Woman moderator Without reading it?!
Kid one mmm…(accepting and probably feeling embarrassed)
Woman moderator So this means that you don’t event know what is it about?
Kid one No. Sometimes I have read it, once it was about a shampoo. (changing the topic) Besides I like that in Facebook you can invite friends to play in the games, for example I also play the ‘waka-waka’.
Woman moderator What is the waka-waka? How do you write it?
Kid one W-a-k-a. The game is about a little yellow ball that eats the little circles.
Woman moderator A ball?
Kid two But that is not the ‘waka-waka’, in the school they play it with paper balls.
Kid one No, but that is not the same! This is different…
Kid two They do it like this (showing)…
Woman moderator And in the school they say that it is ‘waka-waka’?. They play like if it was ‘waka-waka’?
Kid two Yes…is ‘waka-waka’
Kid one No, but I don’t remember the name of that, but its not ‘waka-waka’.
Then, there is one game that you build a garden and you can buy seeds and plant them and take care of the plants so you can have more money.
Woman moderator And what for do you want more money?
Kid one I don’t know, is how the game works. You can buy a lot of things. What I like the most about ‘play-fish’, because there are two things about ‘play-fish’. What I like is that you can buy things.
Woman moderator What!
Kid one Yes, for example there is a place that is a business that I don’t remember what’s its name and they sell falls and things like that, everything has a price, in the bottom it says this costs 10 pesos or 20.
Woman moderator But just as a game? You don’t have to put real money?
Kid one Yes, as a game. You have to go to the place where the guys are and pay them.
Woman moderator But do you have to pay with real money?
Kid one Well, no. There is a “fake” cashier so you go there and it asks you some questions, for example, with what credit card you are going to pay, mastercard or visa….
Woman moderator How many questions?
Kid one I think only three.
Woman moderator What is this game?
Kid one ‘Pets-society’
Woman moderator
What is that? Excuse me, I don’t understand. You were talking about ‘waka-waka’ and now ‘Pets-something’ …
Kid one The ‘waka-waka’ is another game.
Woman moderator ‘Waka-waka’ is other game. So ‘play-fish’ is another game in Facebook?
Kid one Is another place where there are games.
Woman moderator In Facebook?
Kid one Yes.
Woman moderator Ok. So that ‘play-fish’ that you use has a cashier and it asks you what credit card to use. So you have to learn how to use your parents’ credit cards, because you don’t have cards obviously.
Kid one Yes, I think so. But once I did not put it and nothing happen.
Woman moderator How you didn’t put it?
Kid one I just didn’t put it.
Woman moderator And what do they say?
Kid one Nothing because I didn’t had a credit card.
Woman moderator And what do they sell there?
Kid one Parrots, falls, boats…
Woman moderator And, if you don’t have money to buy anything in all the game?
Kid one You have to pay with money.
Woman moderator But, if you want to sell something so that you get little money, can you do that in the game so you can buy things?
Kid one No, those things no. You have to get the money from luxury…
Woman moderator I didn’t know about this. And what is the business?
Kid one I don’t remember.
Woman moderator I really didn’t know that. So you buy virtual things, because you don’t have any gold or anything in your house.
Kid one Well if you pay for example a fall then they let you can take it.
Woman moderator You can take it where?
Kid one To your house.
Woman moderator But not to your real house. You can’t put a fall or a parrot in you bedroom?. It is a fake. I mean what they give you is the authorization to take it in the computer and put it somewhere else.?
Woman moderator And a lot of kids buy things?
Kid one No, but I have a friend that bought a horse.
Woman moderator Wow, I didn’t know you could do that…So, what you like the most is the PC.
Kid one And the mobile phone.
Woman moderator And the mobile phone for what?
Kid one To talk with my friends and send them messages. Also to play games when I am bored and because you can take it anywhere.
Woman moderator Why do you like to take it anywhere?
Kid one I don’t know. It is fun…
Woman moderator You have a pink one, right?
Kid one Yes. Jorge has a new one…
Woman moderator And you have it always charged (with money)?
Kid one I don’t know (it means ‘it varies’ or ‘it depends’) I have not been using it lately because I have been at home.
Woman moderator How do you recharge it?
Kid one It asks you something about the card and there’s a code…
Woman moderator What card?
Kid one The Sim card, where there is a chip, there is a code, the sim code…
Woman moderator It asks you what?! Are you sure?
Kid one It’s called the Sim code.
Woman moderator How do you know all this?
Kid one Because my mom said...that…mmm
Woman moderator You also have a mobile phone? (asking to the other kid) Is that the same kind?
Kid two No, is different.
Kid one (trying to put one sim card in a phone) mmm…it asks me that because it knows that it has been a long time that it does not have my chip (referring to the mobile phone)
Woman moderator Ahhh you have another chip?
Kid one Yes, I have mine. This is hers.
Woman moderator And now you put her chip in a new mobile phone? Aahh, ok. So what else you like of the mobile?
Kid one That you can report where you are.
Woman moderator And what other thing you like?
Kid one Of the mobile?
Woman moderator Yes, I mean what do you feel of taking it wherever you go?
Kid one I feel important.
Woman moderator Why do you think the mobile gives importance to the ones that carry one?
Kid one It makes me feel free.
Woman moderator You know what happened when the mobile phones just appeared for the first time? There were these plastic toy mobile phones and even adults were buying this and faking they were speaking like if it was a real mobile! And we could notice that, I catch one doing it! Why do you think they were doing that?
Kid one Because they wanted to feel important.
Woman moderator Yes, because they wanted to feel important. Exactly, because the mobile phone gave you something…I don’t know what…And what else the mobile phone gives you? Tell me…
Kid one Well, it is fun because you can get to know new places. The same with the PC.
Woman moderator How can you know new places?
Kid one For example in the PC you can go to a webpage and you type something and have results, imagine! and then you can get all the pages you want, for fun, for laziness and for everything…
Woman moderator Ahhh…(laughs) And for the school?
Kid one The PC?
Woman moderator Yes
Kid one I don’t use it in the school.
Woman moderator No?
Kid one No, only when I work in the house.
Woman moderator Why?
Kid one Because they called my attention for something I was looking.
Woman moderator What were you looking?
Kid one Information of…(something)
Woman moderator And where did you looked for that?
Kid one In Internet.
Woman moderator But where in Internet?
Kid one In google, I typed something…I didn’t used wikipedia…
Woman moderator And why you didn’t use wikipedia?
Kid one …(not clear)…
Woman moderator What is wikipedia and what is google?
Kid one Google is an internet page.
Woman moderator For what?
Kid one To search.
Woman moderator So is a search-engine.
Kid one And wikipedia is an encyclopedia in Internet.
Woman moderator And what did you find?
Kid one Something about sharks, octopus, spiders….
Woman moderator Do you know any other site? What is your home-site when you open the web browser in your PC?
Kid one In Internet I go to google, but is a new page because there are two, one that has a white thing and another one that is new.
Woman moderator Ok. To which do you go?
Kid one To the new one.
Woman moderator And what is there? Where do you go when you go there?
Kid one Immediately Facebook starts…
Woman moderator AAAhhh…ok
Kid one And then there is are many tabs, one of them has games.
Woman moderator In this new google place there are games that are also in Facebook?
Kid one They are normal games, there is one that you use it like this…you have to put your password…
Woman moderator But they are not Disney games that you used to like a lot? Remember?
Kid one If I want Disney I have to write ‘disneylandia’.
Woman moderator You don’t go to those anymore? You used to like them a lot…and now?
Kid one I don’t know why I don’t use it much, sometimes I used them, but now I like other games, some new ones…There are other that you put something…
Woman moderator What other places there are?
Kid one Well I like Disney but when I go to the Disney page I don’t like it because the page never lets you go in…
Woman moderator Why? What do you mean it does not let you in?
Kid one I don’t know, the other day I went to the page and it never loaded or it said something and then started loading again.
Woman moderator Ahh, it was very slow.
Kid one Yes.
Woman moderator Mmm. Then when you go to play to what page you go always.
Kid one To Facebook.
Woman moderator I didn’t know Facebook had games.
Kid one Well, in reality sometimes I leave Facebook open and use something else to play with my friends.
Woman moderator For example?
Kid one I go to other games in other tab or other window.
Woman moderator How many tabs do you open?
Kid one Sometimes even 5.
Woman moderator What does that mean?
Kid one Well I open Facebook then I go to ‘pets’ in another page and then I open other tab or window and open something else and the messenger.
Woman moderator You open all these pages at the same time and you play and talk to everybody at the same time?
Kid one More or less…yes.
Woman moderator And if somebody comes to the messenger you start chatting too?
Kid one Yes, it can get crazy.
Woman moderator Yes, I am sure! And when you talk to your friends in the Facebook what do you talk about?
Kid one When my friends get online I like to talk to them through messenger because I like it more than the Facebook chat…so I close the Facebook and start talking in the MSN messenger.
Woman moderator So you can talk in any of them? (Facebook and messenger)
Kid one Yes, but I use messenger.
Woman moderator Why?
Kid one It is easier. You can talk in Facebook too, but I like more the messenger…
Woman moderator What do you like of it?
Kid one I think it is more comfortable to talk?
Woman moderator Why?
Kid one I don’t know…
Woman moderator I cannot say the difference because I have never had a Facebook. And how many friends you have in Facebook?
Kid one 16
Woman moderator 16 friends in Facebook? And who they are?
Kid one I have to mention all of them?
Woman moderator Well I want to know where are they from. Are they cousins, neighbors, classmates…?
Kid one Relatives and classmates from school.
Woman moderator What relatives?
Kid one Uncles, cousins and parents.
Woman moderator What uncles?
Kid one Uncle Pato and Sergio.
Woman moderator And Santiago?
Kid one No
Woman moderator So how do you talk with Santiago then, by messenger?
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator Ahhhhh. What a ‘mess’ is this. So how do you find them? Do you find them directly? Do you call them? How is this?
Kid one In the messenger you can talk by the phone too.
Woman moderator How?
Kid one You can have a phone and then you talk.
Woman moderator So you listen to the voice and you answer by writing?
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator And the picture? …(not clear)
Kid one …I write different in the messenger. For example “I like you” I write ‘Ily’ and how are you ‘howdy’ or ‘whatdy’ is what do you do…
Woman moderator So you cut all the words?
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator (Addressing kid two) Hey! with you I have not talked. Tell me what do you have in your house?
Kid two I have PC, mobile phone.
Woman moderator PC with Internet?
Kid two I think so.
Woman moderator How do you know if you have Internet? Do you have messenger?
Kid two Yes.
Woman moderator Then you have internet.
Kid one Yes, she has Internet, but sometimes it does not connect. The PC has something wrong…
Woman moderator So they don’t let you use it?
Kid two No, what happens is that when I go out, then I try to go in and its says I cant connect again. It shows a message.
Woman moderator Can your mom use the internet?
Kid one The thing is that her mom could help her fix the internet.
Woman moderator How many sisters you have?
Kid two I have one
Woman moderator How old is her?
Kid two 13
Woman moderator And she does not explain you how to use the Internet?
Kid two Well, the same happens to her.
Woman moderator Ahhh, so you have the same problem.
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator So you cannot use the internet for the school or anything?! And did you asked your mom about that?
Kid two Well, my father comes from work before my mom.
Woman moderator So you are paying internet and you cant use it?! Not even for the school?
Kid two Yes. For the school yes, but to the messenger no.
Woman moderator Ahh, you can’t ‘talk’ (means chat). How long ago you use the internet? A long time?
Kid two I don’t remember…
Woman moderator Do you have a mobile? What do you do when it is not charged? (it means when it does not have money.
Kid two Well then I call my dad and he buys the card…
Woman moderator And your sister also has a mobile phone?
Kid two Yes
Woman moderator How many TVs you have at home?
Kid two Three
Woman moderator Three TVs?! Wow! One in each room?
Kid two One in my sister’s room, one in my room and the other in my parents’ bedroom.
Woman moderator Wow! One in each room. Then you must watch the TV alone?.
Kid one No, with my sister.
Woman moderator Always with your sister?
Kid two Yes.
Woman moderator Yes. In what room?
Kid two In mine, but sometimes I go to my sister’s room or my parents room.
Woman moderator So you always watch TV together?’
Kid two Well almost, not always. Sometimes we go to different rooms.
Woman moderator And you each watch your own TV so that you can see different programs that you each like?
Kid two Yes
Woman moderator What programs?
Kid two I watch sometimes Disney Channel and my sister I don’t know what she watches…anything
Woman moderator And what do you watch together?
Kid two ‘Almost angels’(adolescents soap opera Third year.)
Woman moderator You watch that together?
Kid two Yes
Woman moderator So you tell each other: ‘Almost angels’ is going to start! Lets watch it!
Kid two Yes, because we both like ‘Almost angels’ a lot so we tell each other that, for example, if one is doing homework the other must tell her that ‘Almost angels’ is going to start and viceversa.
Woman moderator And then you watch it together? And you talk about that too? You discuss about the show?
Kid two Yes, we say we don’t like that girl and things like that…
Woman moderator Yes and you discuss about the characters, about what is going to happen?
Kid two Well, when I have to go to the bathroom I have to ask what happened, that is why I don’t like to go to the bathroom.
Woman moderator And you watch the advertizing? Or do you change the channel? Do you do sapping (change the channel)?
Kid two Sometimes we change the channel to see the time or just to see what is in the other channel.
Woman moderator What do you do, you change it too? (asking kid one)
Kid one Well some programs do not have a lot of breaks. (advertising)
Woman moderator It does not have breaks?
Kid one Is because it does not have a lot of cuts, instead it shows parts of the next episode of “teenagers” or it asks questions, for example if you like the show you can send a message or something…
Woman moderator And you like that show? What else do they advertize during ‘Almost angels’?
Kid one The shoes “Sally” and chocolates ‘x’
Woman moderator Which chocolate?
Kid two One that comes in a big bottle with a little drawing.
Woman moderator Have you tried that chocolate?
Kid two I think we have, yes.
Woman moderator You bought it? (asking kid one)
Kid one No, I didn’t. I don’t like chocolate that much.
Woman moderator Do you remember the name of the chocolates?
Kid two No.
Woman moderator It has been a long time since they put chocolates in the advertizing?
Kid two Yes.
Kid one What they put is that one girl says ‘Ohhh, it’s a shame the chocolates ended!’…
Kid two Ahh, I remember they show some ‘chocolates Mariel’
Woman moderator What?
Kid two Yes they come in a small box.
Woman moderator What chocolates do you know? Do you like chocolates?
Kid two Yes, I like them.
Kid one I don’t like them, but I know some brands.
Woman moderator What kind?
Kid one Well for example the ones ‘pretty cow’.
Kid two Yes, they have messages like ‘I love you’ ‘I am your friend’…
Woman moderator But do you remember the brand of the chocolates?
Kid one Yes, one of them is ‘Abal’
Woman moderator That is a game.
Kid one Ahhh, yes I remember the one that is named ‘two hearts’
Woman moderator Yes, it is true they exist. What is the chocolate you like the most?
Kid one ‘Two hearts’
Kid two The one with the messages.
Woman moderator The one with the messages?
Kid two Yes, because I like that chocolate.
Woman moderator And all your classmates have PC? (asking kid two)
Kid two Yes, I think they do.
Woman moderator And all of them have mobile too?
Kid two I have no idea
Woman moderator You don’t know?
Kid two No.
Woman moderator They don’t take it to school?
Kid two/Kid one No.
Woman moderator And do you like to have mobile?
Kid two Yes.
Woman moderator When did you receive it as a present?
Kid one I think last year.
Woman moderator And do you feel good to have it? Like ‘kid one’?
Kid two Yes. No I don’t use it a lot, but I used to receive a lot of messages from a woman that worked in my mom’s job, but they she stopped working there and we stop sending too much messages and then we stopped completely.
Woman moderator So when you were younger you liked to send messages more? What about now?
Kid two Now I don’t use the mobile a lot anymore. I use it only to play and to see the time.
Woman moderator The mobile shows the time?
Kid two Yes, it always shows it.
Woman moderator And you don’t want a watch to see the time?
Kid two I don’t know…
Kid one I like to see the time in the mobile too because I don’t understand the other watches. Only the ones that show the time like ‘five then two dots, thirty’ (digital display watch)
Woman moderator You do understand those…
Kid two I also prefer the ones with the two dots (digital display watch)
Woman moderator Lets see, tell me what time is in that clock? (to kid one)
Kid one In which one?
Woman moderator That one…(pointing)
Kid two Well that is easy. It’s 2:10pm…
Woman moderator Very well. So you can read that kind of clock if it has numbers, but still you both prefer a digital display.
Kid two Yes, It is better with numbers.
Woman moderator I like this, look at my watch…
Kid one It is big so you can see the numbers easy
Woman moderator So, then the mobile phone makes you feel what?
Kid one Important.
Kid two I don’t use it that much, but when I go out I take it.
Woman moderator For what?
Kid two I don’t know.
Kid one To feel important in the city center (a ‘joke’)
Woman moderator (laughs)
Kid two So that they look at me with the mobile. I fell like older, I don’t know…
Woman moderator So you feel older with the mobile, ok. Do you thing the mobile is a thing for adults?
Kid two Yes, I thing is for adults so when I use it I feel older.
Woman moderator So when you take it you see the time and play games?
Kid two I need it for the time not for the games.
Woman moderator But when you take it with you can always play. And you like to show it when you go out? Where do you take it?
Kid two When they invite me for example for ice-cream, that I don’t really like, or some other place then I take it.
Woman moderator And you take it out?
Kid two Yes, and when I am bored I take it out.
Woman moderator And when you are bored, when you feel lonely, when they are not playing with you, do you take it out knowing that you will have something to do? That is the idea?
Kid two Yes, it is like that.
Woman moderator And when you are having fun do you take it out?
Kid two No
Woman moderator So…
Kid one (Constantly saying jokes or making fun of kid two) …playing with the mobile all the time…
Kid two Well when I am playing with someone I play with the person and when I am bored I play with my phone.
Woman moderator Do you feel bad when the girls don’t invite you to play?
Kid one (joke) …because she is playing with the mobile…
Woman moderator If you would have to give up something what would you give up? TV, PC or mobile?
Kid two I would give up the TV.
Woman moderator You would give up the TV…and would you for example like a TV in the mobile?
Kid two No
Woman moderator What would you give up? (asking kid one)
Kid one I would take two things and give up two things.
Woman moderator What would you give up?
Kid one I would give up the TV and the PC and would keep the music and the mobile.
Woman moderator What music? MP3?
Kid one Well the music, in general
Woman moderator Well yes, but I thought you had MP3
Kid one Yes I have.
Woman moderator And you use it? (asking ‘kid two’)
Kid two it The MP3, yes I use.
Woman moderator For what?
Kid two To listen to music
Woman moderator Yes, but where do you use it?
Kid two When I go out and in my house for example when I don’t have anything to do and I want to listen to music. Because I don’t like the ‘regeton’.
Kid one I like regeton. (starts dancing and singing ‘regeton’)
Woman moderator And you have a lot of songs? Where do you get the music from?
Kid two I don’t put it, the neighbor from downstairs puts it.
Woman moderator The neighbor?
Kid two Yes, he has an MP3 and he puts the songs in mine.
Woman moderator And your sister has MP3 too?
Kid two Yes she has, but mine is blue and hers is red.
Woman moderator And you ‘kid one’, do you have MP3?
Kid one Yes, but it’s not mine, it’s my mom’s, but I listen to music in the PC.
Woman moderator What music do you like?
Kid one I don’t really like regeton, I like ‘calamaro’, The ‘oreja de vangog’ and I don’t remember…
Woman moderator When do yo listen to music?
Kid one When I am bored, when I am cleaning…
Woman moderator Yes it is nice to listen while cleaning.
Kid one Yes.
Woman moderator Ok ‘kid one’ then you said you would give up 2 things, the TV and the PC. So you would keep the mobile?
Kid one Yes.
Woman moderator If you don’t use the mobile very much why would you keep it?
Kid one Because it makes me feel important.
Woman moderator Ahh, yes and the PC nobody sees it, nobody knows you have it.
Writing in the messenger doesn’t make you feel important?
Kid one No, because I can also send messages with the mobile.
Woman moderator So it’s the same for you to talk with the PC or with the mobile. How do you think the mobile phones of the future would be?
Kid one The ones of the future…(thinking) I think the person is going to be visible from the shoulders up and you don’t need to send messages because you can see the person and talk.
Woman moderator So you would be able to see the person?
Kid one Yes.
Kid two The person shows, really? Do those mobiles exist already?
Woman moderator Not yet, but they are making them. They are investigating how to make them. In Japan.
Kid one And then you don’t need to put money on the SIM card very often because you can put even 500 pesos and they would be saved in a metal part of the mobile.
Woman moderator What else would you like in your mobile?
Kid one I don’t know, Internet no.
Woman moderator You don’t want a mobile with Internet?
Kid one No. I will like one that sends me the news, for example ‘there is a fire in a building’ or something like that.
Woman moderator You like the news?
Kid one I like interesting and important things. For example, to see ‘Almost angels’ (as a joke)
Woman moderator (laughs) And you ‘kid two’? How do you imagine?…Wait a minute you say you would give up what?
Kid two I would give up the TV and would keep the PC and mobile.
Woman moderator And what do you like more the PC or the mobile?
Kid two The PC.
Woman moderator Why?
Kid two Because if I connect to the Internet I can chat and play.
Woman moderator But if you can play and send messages through the mobile?
Do you send messages from mobile?
Kid two Yes.
Woman moderator How do you imagine the mobile of the future?
Kid two I don’t know…I have never thought about it…
Woman moderator How would you like it to be?
Kid one (joking) I would like a squared one with keyboard and you can manage it with a little pencil…
Woman moderator Without keyboard?
Kid one Yes
Woman moderator What else would you want? TV in the mobile, only the important things…
Kid one To see ‘important things’ and Internet is basic.
Woman moderator What else?
Kid one That it has games.
Woman moderator But this mobile already has games, right? It has all the games?
Kid one Yes, but I would like that there is a page called ‘thousand games’
Woman moderator There is one?
Kid one No, just imagine…I would like it to exist.
Woman moderator Ok, but we are talking of the mobile or the PC?
Kid one …(hesitating) The PC. I would like a page where you sign in and you get all the games you want and all the games that exist.
Woman moderator And for example, do you play in the net with other kids?
Kid one Yes, the messenger also has something to play.
Kid two Yes.
Woman moderator In the messenger you can play too?
Kid one Yes, you can open a section in messenger that has games, it has ‘one’ and cards.
Woman moderator And with who did you play cards?
Kid one With my dad, but with him is only cards.
Woman moderator But, you were not playing with your cousins? With Ramiro and Paloma for example, were you playing something?
Kid one No.
Kid two I was playing something with them and I was visiting in their homes.
Woman moderator You went to their homes to visit them? Did you play with them?
Kid one You can do that in the messenger too. Well not in the msn messenger, for example, you send a letter then you ask for something and the person then reads the letter or it can be a present.
Woman moderator And you sent that to the kids and they also sent something to you?
Kid one Very little and I was asking things from them or I was contacting somebody that I liked. With one kid that had a microphone in the PC we were playing something too…
Woman moderator What kid it was?
Kid one Federico from school.
Woman moderator And did you played like that in internet? (asking ‘kid two’) have you played always like that? He (referring to ‘kid one’) just recently got Internet and he uses it like if he had always had it! I don’t understand that.
Woman moderator Oh, how pretty necklace you have. Where did you get it? It is very nice…
Kid one She bough it in the Internet. (joke, laughs)
Kid two I got it from my mom.
Woman moderator Have you buy something from the Internet?
Kid one No…
Woman moderator Ok…Something else you want to tell me?
Kid one Yes, I feel like eating ice-cream.
Kid two I feel like eating ‘chipa’
Woman moderator I don’t know how to do that.
Kid one Lets make ‘chipa’! We just need to buy a special flour and we can make it.
Woman moderator Can you do that in the microwave? Because I don’t know how…I have no idea how to make it.
END

No comments:

Post a Comment