A group of researchers dedicated to work on the impact that the media produce at the audience

Blog of dissemination of the work of the Research in Media Institute about the project Youth Media Participation

Apr 14, 2010

Ezequiel and Walter 16 and 18 years old

Here is the letter of presentation from the group coordinator in both version, original in Spanish and translated to English



TRANSLATION OF THE LETTER WRITTEN BY THE TEACHER OF TWO ADOLESCENTS FROM A VERY POOR NEIGHBOURHOOD INTERVIEWED

ON OCTOBER, 2009

2010-02-09

I am writing this letter as the Teacher and Coordinator of the group “DESDE ABAJO CINE, (Films Coming From A Shantytown). My name is CARLOS ANIBAL OBREGÓN; ( DOC. NUMBER: 33.810.652; phone 5411- 339332154), to state clearly that on Thursday, October 15th 2009; two kids that belong to this Foundation, have participated in a meeting to be interviewed by Prof. Tatiana Merlo Flores, at the office of the Instituto de Investigación en Medios located in San Martín 448, (Voces y Ecos), downtown Buenos Aires.

Both kids: Eric Federico Chacón; Doc. : ... and Walter Emanuel Nogueira; Doc.: ..., phone number: ... ; had their parent’s permissions.

All of us arrived at the office at 13, 00 PM and stayed there until 17.00 PM.

They received money for the trips and they had lunch at the office.

Carlos Aníbal Obregón



BRIEF RESUME

This was perhaps the most important interview that we did.

These two adolescents; Ezequiel 16 years old and Walter 17, live in a very poor neighbourhood where Maradona was born: Villa Fiorito.

They went to our office with their teacher, Mr. Anibal Obregón, who belongs to a Foundation “Films From Under”, that has workshops where youngsters learn the basics of filming as a way to include and give identity to those that are in risky life situations.

Talking about the film experience, Walter said: “ …it is very important for us, we can tell what is going on with us, tell our problems…”and Ezequiel added: “…yes because the media doesn’t tell the truth about us..”.

Walter set up with his brother their own computer to be able to edit films. They want to make more films; they want to make a news programme on internet to tell everybody what is happening to other kids like them.

“We demostrated to talk about our life but the TV reporters weren’t there. This is not good publicity for politicians…” Walter said. “The only thing that the media show about us is violence…”.

Ezequiel was very angry “…media always lie about us…” he said repeatedly. “That´s why we want to make our news, so people will know what is going on . We have to help to open eyes…”.

With “Cinema from Under” we learned a lot…now we want to continue.

Ezequiel also was very clear when he expressed: “Showing what´s going on in our neighbourhoods. It´s true that there are thieves and that they smoke “paco”, but grown-ups are responsible and that, nobody shows…In that way the kids living in the area will see themselves on the newscast. That´s their lives and we understand them. That can help a lot”.

And Walter said that is their dream: “A poor kids movement…then, at last, they´re going to take us seriously”.


Music is identity and an aesthetic that has to do with clothes and worldview: “It´s the aesthetic; every style of music has one. The “slum boys” with their caps; Niké trainers are the trademark of the “cumbia boys”. First of all is the image…the aesthetic…” said these kids talking about the external signs of identity.


TRANSLATION (ENGLISH VERSION)




Interviewer



I suppose your professor, Mr. Anibal Obregón, has already explained to you the reason why I have asked you to come today to the office. We are doing an international comparative research where we are trying to find how children and adolescents use the means of communication in their daily life. In what way they get in touch and participate.



I know that you are part of a group called “Cinema from Under” and I would like you to tell me what you do there.





W: They teach us to film and it´s very important for us ´cause we can say what happens to us, we can tell our problems.





E: That´s right because the media doesn´t say the truth about us.





T: Why do you say so?





W: The telly and the news are always the same…in all the channels you listen to the same things. If I want to know what´s going on I always go to the net, I don´t watch TV.





T: Tell me what you have at home…



W: At home there are two TV sets: one in the dining room and the other in my bedroom. Usually we watch TV in the dining room; I use the TV set in my room to see movies but I also have a DVD player and a computer too. My Mum watches soap operas and the news.



T: And you Erick?





E: We have three TV sets: one for my brother; the other for my Dad is in the living room and has wheels so sometimes I take it to my bedroom to watch sports, especially at the weekend. My parents watch news and also movies.



I have a computer too.





W: We set up a computer with my brothers to edit…it’s important if we want to make programs.



Then, with 4 or 5 neighbourhood friends we prepare everything to play in teams but each one from their home. We set up a modem for all, we download music; we get together to listen to it and we also download videos. Some have computers but they are slow.



We bought ours this year.





T: And how did you manage before all this?





W: Before I went to a public cyber.





T: How old were you when you started?





W: I´m on the computer since I was 13.





T : How about you Erick?





E: I have a friend who owns one of these places with computers (a public cyber)





T: And who taught you?





E. Just looking at others…





W: I also went to my brother-in-law´s house, but he only had the computer not the connection to Internet.





T And what do you like?





E. I like everything connected to sports.





W: What I dislike is that there are ads all over…you click and right there a page opens to sell you something; there is a lot of spam; everybody wants to sell you things. They even offer you money.



500 pesos for a click to watch ads.



25 cents for 2clicks, 5 clicks a day and on top of all you have to write your name down.





T: How long do you remain available…?





W: At least during two months they still send you things…



They even offer you viagra pills.





T: Anything else?





W: Sure, they sell you pornography and sex-shop things.





E: SMS is the same as TV programs, but everything is a lie…I don´t believe in anything.





W: On channel 9, they ask for your “cuil” number (note: a number connected to private information) you must call them by cellphone and they eat up all your phone card. It´s a trap.





E: What you don´t know is that you have to complain, try to change things…





T: What is it you have to complain about?





E: About them…lying to you! they tell you to download things for free but it´s a lie.





W: I drained my cellphone card then I was 5 months without it…



Mails are a lot cheaper!





T: Do you use it much?



My brother spends all the afternoon…I go several times…always have about 50 messages.





T: And do all of them interest you?





W: I open them all. But out of those 50 I´m only interested in about 10…There are lots of chains.





E: I don´t have a mobile phone or mail. I had a mobile but I had no use for it…





T: And what do you like doing?





E: I like to play ball every day. I also like to buy clothes, trainers…But not really brands…my brother likes brands but not me…they like to eat people´s heads.





T: And why do you think brands are important?





W: It´s trendy…to be in…to be part of…





E: They make kids fight; they divide into groups…the ones of the cumbia (note: a popular dance) the flogers…and they fight because of how they look…





T And what do you think of what Erick says?





W: It´s like war…



The flogers wear colourful clothes, trainers and electronic music sweatshirts.





T: What does music have to do with clothes?





W: It´s the aesthetic; every style of music has one. The “slum boys” with their caps; Niké trainers are the trademark of the “cumbia boys” First of all is the image…the aesthetic…





T: And what do you think, Erick?





E: The politicians and the media do it on purpose. It´s business, they don´t care about the people; while we fight one another they do what they want.





T: And the Means of Communication?





E: TV entertains you. It´s to keep people busy with nonsense to be able to steal from them quietly.





T: And how do you know all this?





W: It´s this cinema workshop that opened our minds…





E: Look around…just pause a little and look around…people are entertained.





T: And what is the thing that really interests you?





E: Look…I have 8 siblings and 5 nephews and nieces. All of us live together and I play ball every day.





T: And what do you like about technology?





E : We go with friends every day to the cyber; 6 or 7 to play games there. We always quarrel, we play “counter strike”.





T: What´s that?





E: Police and terrorists.





T : And on which side are you?





E: I´m a terrorist although the police have better weapons.





T: And you, Walter?





W: I also play. I already told you that with a friend we set up an antenna, we bought it among 6; it cost 600 dollars; we collected the money and it has a range of 100 metres and in that way we can all play because we´re neighbours.





T: What games do you play?





W: I also play “Counter Strike” and “Limage”. It´s a mediaeval game.





T: How do you play them?





W: They can be played when you see the character; or when you see only the hands and the weapon.





T: And other games?





E: I love cars then I buy spare parts for them, I set them up. You play, you can lose but in my garage I have 14 cars. It´s my favourite game.





T: How long do you play?





E: Sunday noon always…I remain 2 or 3 hours for only 1 peso and a half.



T.: Who pays for these games?





E: My old man gave me money to buy trainers and I went to play at the cyber. I went every day…I lied to them but that was before…They went to look for me.





W: I have it at home and I´m already bored by it.





T: Are games one of the things you like best?





W: Once I went with a friend to a video game convention. The original CDs are impossible to buy…too expensive…We copied them; I added the joystick.





T: Is it legal?





W: It isn´t. But neither is to stick ads all over the place.





T: What others do you know of…





W: 3D Games that do not have any explanations just buttons. You start and then you have to find the way alone…





T: What does a game mean to you?





W: A game is a story, classic stories..one is about a killer….it´s the one that´s played the most in our neighbourhood.





T: What is it?





W: It´s very violent. You have to kill all the time.





T: And what TV shows do you prefer?





W: Discovery Channel…Dr. House…Capuxzzote because it´s very funny and it´s good to laugh. He makes fun of real things. He tells stories about poor people and because you are poor…he´s a rocker.





E: I liked the story of two kids in Brazil…from a “favela” (slum-shantytown) It´s a series that´s called “City of the Humans”..brazilian…





T: What is it about?





E: It´s a documentary. What they have to do to eat…it´s real. Two kids with families; their sexual awakening; the need for money to buy expensive trainers; the price they have to pay for living inside a “favela”. I´m from a “favela” but I don´t want anybody to point at me because of it...





W: In Colombia kids prefer to be drugdealers (narcos) than footballers.





Both kids in front of a computer each, opened at the same time the MSM and the Fotolog.





T: What did you open?





W: The Fotolog. It´s a blog with your photos. They know you and you can leave messages.





T: Which is your name there?





W: Sam Vengeance.





T: And how did you come up with that name?





W: It´s from a movie. The Vengeful Phantom.





T: How many photos do you upload?





W: One a day. But there are users who pay 10 pesos and can upload unlimited photos.





T: And how do they find you there?





W: You must sign up other fotologs. You can also do it through your mobile phone.





T : How´s that?.





W: The flogers buy flodos that are images to give out as presents. 5 photos cost one peso and you can receive 200 messages per day.





T: And the MSN?





W: I have 60 contacts. Because I don´t have a cell phone I send myself photos from a borrowed cellphone. You have to post it…to upload it.





T: And Facebook?





W: Facebook is for older people ´cause is to search for people.





T: Do you want to tell me anything else?





W: Since we turned 9 we go to a Latin-American Camping. We are all poor… kids like me. It´s a very good experience that gets you thinking…what we all can do to change what’s happening to us…All of them are kids like me.





E: Pickpocket, thieving kids.





T: And what do you want to do?





W: We want to make a newscast to show what´s really happening.





T: And what´s happening?





E: Poor kids are tools in the hands of adults who send them to steal. And they use them as shields, as masks. Have you seen the “paco” mothers? (note:“paco” is the worst kind of cocaine, sold in the streets usually to kids) They fight for their children…they don´t want adults selling them “paco”, and for that they are threatened…you have to show that…





W: And it makes you very angry; all the time there are more imprisoned kids…, laws that allow young children to go to jail.





T: Could you do anything about it?





W: We demonstrated but no TV channel went to film it, it´s not convenient to show it.





E: That´s why we want to make our own set of news, so people know what´s happening to us.





W: All they show about the kids in our neighbourhood is violence…





E: We have to help to open eyes, to take blindfolds off…





W: Cinema from Under, It changed my life.





E We could make a newscast on Internet by and for young people. That they were able to communicate from a school to another school, from a neighbourhood to another.





T: I love the idea…tell me more.





W: We would choose the material to translate.





E: A poor kids movement…then, at last, they´re going to take us seriously.





W: With “Cinema from Under” we learned a lot…now we want to continue.





T: How?





E: Showing what´s going on in our neighbourhoods. It´s true that there are thieves and that they smoke “paco”, but grown-ups are responsible and that, nobody shows…In that way the kids living in the area will see themselves on the newscast. That´s their lives and we understand them. That can help a lot.





W: It´s our dream and we want to make it true.





T: I certainly hope you make it. I love your dream and want to congratulate you with all my heart. I also want to thank you for everything you have told me, your enthusiasm and the time you have given me. I learned a lot . Thank you so very much. How about going now for a good thing to eat?...





















Interviewing two adolescents from “Mataderos” a poor, needy neighbourhood in the suburbs of Buenos Aires.



Walter : 17 years old



Erick: 16



The interview lasted 3 and a half hours. It was transcripted handwritten by an assistant as well as filmed. Unfortunately the film was deleted while trying to upload it on the computer. Only a few minutes were recovered.















[1] Merlo Flores, Tatiana; Hambre de Inclusión e Identidad, Anales de la Educación N° 2, Educacional Ministerio, Buenos Aires, 2004.



http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3731908.stm; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3368761.stm
Videogames improve street children's learning skills and social inclusion, Argentine research finds out.
Against all odds, most of the street children in Argentina's capital Buenos Aires are breaking the digital divide thanks to their passion for videogames, a local NGO has found out.
According with this study, eight out of ten of the up to 5,000 kids living or working in the streets of Buenos Aires are regular video game players, mostly in cyber cafés and arcades. 80% are regular video game players 95% of boys go to cyber cafés and arcades almost daily Girls prefer home console games 66% prefer non violent games



No comments:

Post a Comment